M14 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My M1A Scout is my "go to" rifle, my SHTF rifle, if you will. I'm considering installing a SAGE EBR. My question is; how heavy is this thing?

As it sits, my Scout is fairly lightweight, and handy. I like the looks of the SAGE, and it appears to be a good choice for CQB to midrange gunfighting. If it weights too much, that would 86 that idea.

·
Banned
3,070 Posts
GunnFixr said:
My M1A Scout is my "go to" rifle, my SHTF rifle, if you will. I'm considering installing a SAGE EBR. My question is; how heavy is this thing?

As it sits, my Scout is fairly lightweight, and handy. I like the looks of the SAGE, and it appears to be a good choice for CQB to midrange gunfighting. If it weights too much, that would 86 that idea.
I just returned from a quick trip to the outdoor range with my M1A Scout Squad EBR.
150 rounds of flawless point-n-shoot performance with Port 8)
I re-loaded with stripper clips and never removed the mag...

I fired 10 rounds from the bench and the rest was standing or kneeling.
I have yet to weigh the rifle in it's present configuration but, I didn't find it to heavy.
I'm real happy with my Scout in a SAGE -- It's a good thing I like it because it's my only rifle :D

·
Registered
114 Posts
I like the pistol grip as that is what I'm used to, but I guess I'm just to anti folding/colapsable stock to go for it. They always scream weakness to me.
Its like Bikes or Cars. you put extra stuff on it, to me its just one more thing to go wrong..
Maybe I'll go for one of those LAW 485 or whatever stocks..

·
Banned
3,070 Posts
MarchOrDie said:
I like the pistol grip as that is what I'm used to, but I guess I'm just to anti folding/colapsable stock to go for it. They always scream weakness to me.
My first .223 rifle was a Daewoo K1

The weak looking, removable tele-stock on this rifle was very solid and never failed me.
The stout Tele-stock on the SAGE is built 4 or 5 times more robust than the K1.
The entire mechanisim is well designed and heavy duty.

That said - LAW makes great stocks!

·
Registered
9,465 Posts
GunnFixr, welcome aboard! From what I've read about the M14 EBR from the Armed Forces Jouranl 10/04 review, the Sage stock adds about three pounds to a USGI synthetic stock. I fondled the Sage International M14 EBR stock at the 2004 SHOT Show. It is noticeably heavier than a USGI synthetic M14 stock. IMHO, the weight difference is the biggest disadvantage of the Sage International stock. Is it a good stock? It is excellent! You can do a lot with and it is rock solid. The Sage International operating rod guide locks the barrel down for accuracy. Just do less than twelve ounce curls and more five pound curls. :lol:

·
Banned
3,070 Posts
Different said:
Just do less than twelve ounce curls and more five pound curls. :lol:
It's not that heavy but, it does help to have some arms on you :D

GunnFixr said:
huntinghawk said:
I think the price is the main disadvantage with the weight being second.
JMO
HH
Just what is the price? I have yet to get a solid answer on that one.
$650.00 with all 4 rails, forward hand gaurd and sling loop. Available HERE

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
$650!?!?

I paid half that for the McMillan stock on my M40. Hell, I only paid $1000 for my M1A, plus $300 for the Aimpoint. I think I'll stick with the factory stock until I find something else. I like that stock, I'm sure it is a dandy, there is just no way in hell that I am going to pay $650 for a rifle stock that doesn't have a rifle in it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
$650!?!?

I paid half that for the McMillan stock on my M40. Hell, I only paid $1000 for my M1A, plus $300 for the Aimpoint. I think I'll stick with the factory stock until I find something else. I like that stock, I'm sure it is a dandy, there is just no way in hell that I am going to pay $650 for a rifle stock that doesn't have a rifle in it.
Heres something to think about.... you can pay $650 for the EBR or go and buy a McMillian for $500-600 then have it glass bedded for another $200... The EBR doesn't require bedding therefore it's cheaper than any other "tactical" Stock I've ever seen. And of course with McMillian you don't have ANY rails to attach your toys... :)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, the only "toy" on my Scout is an Aimpoint. I don't really need a lot of doo dads hanging off my rifle.

$650 is just too rich for my blood for an M1A stock when the stock stock works just fine. Just thought it might be a nice thing to have.

·
Registered
34 Posts
You will also need to replace the op rod guide with one that is included with the EBR. This locks in the receiver to the stock. I had a chance to play with this system at the SHOT Show and I was impressed. One of the main plusses is that all the contact is metal-to-metal, meaning that you should be getting close to bedded performance. This is a quality product and a worthwhile buy if you're using an M14-type weapon as a duty weapon. The rail system is set up like the ARMS S.I.R. and the top rail extends the full length of the weapon.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.