M14 Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Thank you all for your help in advance!!

I have questions that have been brought up after buying serveral components for my M25 Build. I am a newbie to building M14's but I have a mechanical engineering background so I would like to do as much as possible myself. I understand there are some things I should leave to professionals, such as installing and timing my barrel if I ever want it to shoot sub minute and probably headspacing/lapping lugs. GI6 but for the most part I want to know I am assembling this thing correctly and not going to ruin the accuracy of this weapon.

1) LRB M25 Receiver is too tight to fit into the Sage EBR Stock? With the EBR upper handguard removed (the problem is not the rails keeping it from going down), there is about 2-3 millimeters of gap between the receiver and the stock. I have taken a plastic mallet to this thing with a little force and I can get it down to about 1mm gap. Then I have to pry it out with Delrin wedges and use a wooden dowel and drive it from the bottom! I dont know if this is a problem with the receiver or the stock, or if it is supposed to be this tight? I spoke to several people who said the Sage stock is supposed to be just a "drop-in" easy with minimal force. I dont want to rail on this thing and am wondering if I need to Lap the receiver to the stock? If the *super tight fit is normal, or will improve accuracy I am all for it, however I will have great difficulty ever disassembling the weapon again.

2) The LRB M25 Receiver Rail conflicts with the upper handguard EBR rail system. The solution that I have read is machining down the upper stock rail so that there is no conflict with the M25 rail. I am planning on chucking the rail up and milling it down. Problem Solved or is there a better idea?

3) The OP Rod guide block that came with the Sage EBR chassis is loose on the barrel I purchased. I just bought a LRB stamped (Criterion) Chrome Lined Medium Weight 22" 1/11 twist barrel to install on the receiver. There was never a stock OP Rod guide so I never had to drive anything off with a mallet. The Sage Op Rod Guide block slides all the way on with no force required and slips right over the shoulder where it is supposed to be positioned. Isnt it supposed to be driven on with a mallet and great force? Its loose enough that If I put it on and point the barrel at the ground it will just slip and slide down and off the barrel. What do I do?

I have attached 2 images. The picture shows the handguard rail in the way of the receiver, but that is just for the picture. I did not try driving the receiver on with that in place. The height of the receiver in that image is exactly where it gets Hand Tight. After that I have to use a mallet, and then there is still a 1mm gap or so between the receiver and the chassis.

·
Registered
Custom service rifle builder
8,099 Posts
Fitting SAGE Stocks

I've installed several SAGE stocks on various M14 clones and found fitting problems with most of them. It is common to have a very tight fit in the receiver. Trigger guards often will not close without a great deal of force and when they do, some rifles will have the hammer follow the bolt on closing. The cure here seems to be to mill about .030" off the rear trigger housing seat in the stock. Of course, the rear of the hand guard rail will have to be relieved in order for the M25 rail to clear.
I'm not sure what is happening with the op rod guide. This is a problem I have not encountered with Criterion barrels. I would suspect that either the barrel diameter is too small or the op rod guide too big. It's a simple fix to knurle the barrel.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts