M14 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys i have been shooting a lot lately with my ebr and i just cant seem to get the groups to tighten up. I shoot mostly fed 168 otm. i have shot FGMM 168 and FGMM 175 too. the 175's seem to tighten up a little bit but not what i want.

I know there is the thing of what you want and what your rifle can actaully do.
The rifle in question is my 2014 SAI scout in a Sage EBR mod 0 stock. im using a leupold Mk 4 3.5x10 scope in Mk 4 medium rings on a sage DCSB. \

[/URL][/IMG]

These are 3 targets on the same day with 20 shots of fed otm 168 at 100yrds on 3.5 power with the scope, with the rifle resting on a bag. I have always thought it was me being a terrible shooter since im new. but yesterday i was out with my buddy and we brought his AR15 out that he hasnt shot and got it dialed in with some 55gr noslers and i was shooting 1in groups at 100yrds with the gun. the gun had a $200 pro staff, a crappy stock were i could only get a chin weld because the scope was too high, and i never shot the gun before. But i was getting consistent 1 in groups at 100yrds.

I must of been doing something right?
All i want out of my ebr is 2-3in groups. can you guys help?

·
Registered
959 Posts
How did the rifle shoot in the original SAI stock?

·
Registered
4,969 Posts
I've found that those 3.5-10 loopies have a lot of parallax issues, if you are shooting groups at 3.5X then you'll have even more parallax plus a thicker crosshair too.

And yes AR15s are annoyingly accurate, the crappy one I built as a present for my younger brother with a 105$ barrel and the cheapest parts I could find still groups close to an inch.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Annoyingly accurate... I can second that thought. Shot my 16" m400E next to my buddy's 16" mp15. Same accuracy with $500 difference in price tag. :/

OP, did you install the EBR? Was the op block really tight or a little loose? If you haven't done so, Tony's videos are a big help so maybe take a look at them. I'll let you borrow a knurler if you need it.

Russ

I've found that those 3.5-10 loopies have a lot of parallax issues, if you are shooting groups at 3.5X then you'll have even more parallax plus a thicker crosshair too.

And yes AR15s are annoyingly accurate, the crappy one I built as a present for my younger brother with a 105$ barrel and the cheapest parts I could find still groups close to an inch.

Reactions: tonyben

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I did install the chassis myself i havent watched tonys vid on the ebr (it wasnt out when i was putting mine together so i watched the other one that was similar).

The op rod block went on not overly tight but easily to the point were i couldnt move it side to side by hand but it didnt take a lot of force to move it with a hammer.

The barrel whip screw i screwed it all the way to the barrel then backed off a quarter of a turn. i havent played with this at the range. i will readjust it at the range tomorrow to see how if it affects anything. I am aware that this could affect/change point of impact. i can adjust my scope for that i just want to tighten up the groups.

On monday i took the scope off an put my aimpoint back on and re zero'd it at 100 to take away the scope as a factor.

almost considering sending it out to someone to check the gun for me since im kind of stumped at this point.

the rifle shot decent in the walnut stock. tell you the truth its been over a year since i shot it with the walnut stock and i cant remember. I know i saved one target with some PMC 147 shooting into a 3-4in group at 100.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
I would go buy a couple boxes of Sierra MatchKing GMM and do some really slow groups with it. Let the barrel cool between each fired round for a good minute. I'd use that for a baseline since the round shoots very well in these guns. I have to shoot M118 or the SMK GMM for my rifle to perform in an acceptable capacity.

·
Super Moderator
11,505 Posts
I did install the chassis myself i havent watched tonys vid on the ebr (it wasnt out when i was putting mine together so i watched the other one that was similar).

The op rod block went on not overly tight but easily to the point were i couldnt move it side to side by hand but it didnt take a lot of force to move it with a hammer.

The barrel whip screw i screwed it all the way to the barrel then backed off a quarter of a turn. i havent played with this at the range. i will readjust it at the range tomorrow to see how if it affects anything. I am aware that this could affect/change point of impact. i can adjust my scope for that i just want to tighten up the groups.

On monday i took the scope off an put my aimpoint back on and re zero'd it at 100 to take away the scope as a factor.

almost considering sending it out to someone to check the gun for me since im kind of stumped at this point.

the rifle shot decent in the walnut stock. tell you the truth its been over a year since i shot it with the walnut stock and i cant remember. I know i saved one target with some PMC 147 shooting into a 3-4in group at 100.
Watch my video and see if you missed anything.

Screw the barrel whip screw in until it just touches and lock it down. This gave me a slight edge from backed off 1/4 turn.

Tony.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.