M14 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up from a private party a Sage DCSB that was supposedly never installed and form the looks of it, I would say that was accurate. I've followed the instructions and a little common sense and the problem seems to be that either the rail on the top of the sage is out of spec, or the DCSB is...or both. With the allen bolts adjusted so that the cam actuated clamps are bottomed out on the sight base itself, (ie: no more adjustment) the sight base is still loose on the rail.
Anyone have any similar experience?
I also hate to ask this, but does anyone know if these have been copied and counterfeited?

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
Just picked up from a private party a Sage DCSB that was supposedly never installed and form the looks of it, I would say that was accurate. I've followed the instructions and a little common sense and the problem seems to be that either the rail on the top of the sage is out of spec, or the DCSB is...or both. With the allen bolts adjusted so that the cam actuated clamps are bottomed out on the sight base itself, (ie: no more adjustment) the sight base is still loose on the rail.
Anyone have any similar experience?
I also hate to ask this, but does anyone know if these have been copied and counterfeited?
No.counterfits out there, if it came from me its 100% real, so the rail will slide in the slots but even adjusted down the whole way it wont lock in? I have never heard of any issues with these mounts not to say its not possible, from experience the levers are usually tight from the factory even before adjustment, can you post some close ups of the rail and mount so I can see if there are any issues thanks

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No.counterfits out there, if it came from me its 100% real, so the rail will slide in the slots but even adjusted down the whole way it wont lock in? I have never heard of any issues with these mounts not to say its not possible, from experience the levers are usually tight from the factory even before adjustment, can you post some close ups of the rail and mount so I can see if there are any issues thanks
Correct. I have it adjusted as tight as it will go and it's still loose. I'll try to get some pics up later. Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Here's a pic of the clamp bottomed out. Adjusted and installed like this, it's still loose.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Open the levers about 1/3 of the way and tighten down the allen head screws then attempt to close the levers. You may have to do this several times to get them properly adjusted. This should be performed while the DCSB is mounted on the top rail.
I've tried that. I can close the levers and tighten the Allen screws as tight as I dare and the mount is still loose.
After about three hours of test fitting other accessories on this rail and trying the DCSB on other rails, the conclusion I come to is that the top rail on the Sage EBR is enough out of spec that the design of the DCSB can't accommodate it. It will barely clamp down on other rails but with very little -if any- adjustment left. Other accessories will clamp to the Sage rail but they're properly designed for a mil spec 1913 rail...the DCSB is not.
If you have a 100% zero defect/complaint/return record on 6200 assemblies, which would be 49,600 parts (not including hardware, pins, washers and springs), then you're either a manufacturing icon of perfection and should be in the Smithsonian, or you're stretching your facts just a hair. I've been in manufacturing to long to know better.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Wow, I really don't even know how to respond to that without being banned. First, I am in no way involved in the manufacturing process of any Sage product. My experience on the system is as an end user building the rifles for the US Army. If you bought this DCSB from Lord of war, I believe it is probably in serviceable condition as he is not out to screw anyone. If you truly believe that Sage has sold you a defective top rail, contact them and I am sure that they will make it right.

I don't have a dog in this fight, and simply offer the insight of my experiences since I have built and shot more Sage stocked M14s than probably anyone on this planet as well as authored the TM supplement that I posted the link to.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Wow, I really don't even know how to respond to that without being banned. First, I am in no way involved in the manufacturing process of any Sage product. My experience on the system is as an end user building the rifles for the US Army. If you bought this DCSB from Lord of war, I believe it is probably in serviceable condition as he is not out to screw anyone. If you truly believe that Sage has sold you a defective top rail, contact them and I am sure that they will make it right.

I don't have a dog in this fight, and simply offer the insight of my experiences since I have built and shot more Sage stocked M14s than probably anyone on this planet as well as authored the TM supplement that I posted the link to.
I'm not even remotely suggestion anyone is out to screw anyone and I sure have better things to do than make something like this up. I was looking for a possible solution or constructive input from someone who might have had the same issue. I did not buy this from LOW and I was trying to avoid involving the guy I bought it from and maybe just find a resolution to the problem. I don't know you from Adam and your first response was to defend the product, not offer any real insight, which made me think you did/do have a dog in the fight. My bad but none the less. The problem exists. If it was in "serviceable condition" (whatever that means) it would work. This stuff isn't rocket science. Sorry if I struck a nerve.

·
Registered
467 Posts
The adjustment procedure MUST be performed with the levers in the open positon. You will sometimes feel resistance as you tighten the cap screws due to the locktight applied during manufacture. This procedure is valid for both the old (top) and the new (bottom) DCSB.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The adjustment procedure MUST be performed with the levers in the open positon. You will sometimes feel resistance as you tighten the cap screws due to the locktight applied during manufacture. This procedure is valid for both the old (top) and the new (bottom) DCSB.
There is no Loctite on these screws and one more time;
I've adjusted these as tight as they will possibly go without damaging the sight base...it's still loose on the rail. Go back and look at the picture...the clamps under the cam levers are bottomed out against the sight base. They can't be tightened any further. Thanks for your input, I appreciate it.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Could you possibly take some pics of the dcsb as attached to the rifle as you can make it? I took a couple shots of mine on the rifle and couldn't see much of a difference.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Could you possibly take some pics of the dcsb as attached to the rifle as you can make it? I took a couple shots of mine on the rifle and couldn't see much of a difference.

I'm leaving this afternoon for the weekend but when I get back I'll try and post some more pics.
I can see a very small gap on yours where mine is bottomed out when attached. (see my pic above)

FWIW it's not just the top rail...I tried the DCSB on every rail on the Sage and same result.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
.......I can see a very small gap on yours where mine is bottomed out when attached. (see my pic above).
Agreed... with no gap, u can tighten all day long and it ain't got no more squeeze to give.
Is any of the finish rubbed or filed off of the mount clamps where they are angled to touch the pic rail??

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The profile of the clamping blocks on your DCSB have been modified. See the enclosed pictures of stock clamping blocks for comparison.
Nothing was modified...this is as it came out of the package and every part still has the factory finish. I don't see the difference you're talking about.
Check that: the bevel on yours looks smaller which would definitely cause the problem. Seems more material was machined off the ones on my sight base.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Agreed... with no gap, u can tighten all day long and it ain't got no more squeeze to give.
Is any of the finish rubbed or filed off of the mount clamps where they are angled to touch the pic rail??
You get it.
No, the parts were new, uninstalled and have the factory glass beaded/parkerized finish.

·
Registered
467 Posts
I would send it back to Sage and request they replace/repair it. You will find that they are very easy to deal with and really support their product.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts