M14 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Sage EBR stock arrived from Clyde's today and upon inspection, looks to be a very nice unit. I haven't received my muzzle break pliers yet so I haven't been able to finish the installation but I did do a quick test fit. I've read about instances where people had to take a mallet to the rear of the receiver to get them to drop into place. I was very surprised to see my SAI receiver just slide down without any force necessary. The trigger group also locked into place fine with just a hint more tension/pressure over the synthetic stock.

My only concern is that there's a bit of a gap between the receiver and the stock right below the rear sight. This gap would normally have been filled by a raised area in the synthetic stock. I assume that this is completely normal?

Hopefully the pictures below can better illustrate what I'm talking about.

Here you can see the white chair through the gap between stock and receiver:

Opposite side:

BTW, thanks to f1fanatic and the rest who answered my questions about the Sage EBR. Much appreciated.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
totally normal. looks good, what optics are you going to use?

enjoy!
Thanks for the reply. I'm waiting for my Bassett hi-profile mount to arrive (I hope it clears the front handguard rails) and plan to use a Millett TRS-1 I have here. The only problem I'm worried about is the 56mm objective plus the height of the Bassett clearing that front rail. If it contacts, I may have to go buy a scope with a smaller 50mm objective instead or pickup a LaRue offset scope mount.

·
Registered
5,750 Posts
Very nice. A 56mm objective on a scout, wow. Just cause you have a short barrel doesn't mean you need something shiny to distract people... and I've found saying, "It's big and black." doesn't work on everyone.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Very nice. A 56mm objective on a scout, wow. Just cause you have a short barrel doesn't mean you need something shiny to distract people... and I've found saying, "It's big and black." doesn't work on everyone.
LOL... it's the only free scope I have lying around. Overkill for the Scout? Most definitely.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Looks normal. The Larue is fine... Although the DCSB is great too. My Larue rests on top of the stripper clip rail.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Your sage looks good. I hope mines turns out as good I also received my new Sage today and hope to preform the changes in the next few weeks as well I got the gray/navy edition. DI5

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Your sage looks good. I hope mines turns out as good I also received my new Sage today and hope to preform the changes in the next few weeks as well I got the gray/navy edition. DI5
I was thinking about the NSG Sage but for some reason, the buttstock trunnion being a lighter shade than the rest of the stock seemed strange to me. What does yours look like and where did you buy from?

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
There are 2 ways to upload photos; one is to upload your photos to a web hosting service then use IMG tags.

Or you can just upload the file as an attachment when using the advanced editor.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I was just thinking, why is the pistol grip so far back away from the trigger? I don't have small hands but to reach the trigger can be a stretch at times depending on how the pistol grip is positioned in the palm. Is there a way to move the pistol grip forward a little?

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Not sure you'll get the guard to unhinge if it's closer. I have to remove my grip to drop the trigger group.
Hmm... didn't consider the amount of space required for the trigger guard to swing down. I had a look at the rifle in your signature pictures and realized right away what you were pointing out.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Another option.

The Sage EBR stock arrived from Clyde's today and upon inspection, looks to be a very nice unit. I haven't received my muzzle break pliers yet so I haven't been able to finish the installation but I did do a quick test fit. I've read about instances where people had to take a mallet to the rear of the receiver to get them to drop into place. I was very surprised to see my SAI receiver just slide down without any force necessary. The trigger group also locked into place fine with just a hint more tension/pressure over the synthetic stock.

My only concern is that there's a bit of a gap between the receiver and the stock right below the rear sight. This gap would normally have been filled by a raised area in the synthetic stock. I assume that this is completely normal?

Hopefully the pictures below can better illustrate what I'm talking about.

Here you can see the white chair through the gap between stock and receiver:

Opposite side:

BTW, thanks to f1fanatic and the rest who answered my questions about the Sage EBR. Much appreciated.
I haven't received my muzzle break pliers yet so I haven't been able to finish the installation

After backing off the set screw, I just used a punch and tapped the nut (slot) with a small ball pin hammer and loosened it that way. No problem. Just another option if you don't have the pliers.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Got my muzzle brake pliers and a set of roll pin punches today in the mail so I was finally able to complete the install. Total time was about 30 minutes including beating the op-rod guide block off the barrel. I was very tempted to cut it until I found out that I didn't have any more cutting wheels and I didn't feel like driving to the store. Well, about 10 minutes later along with a block of wood and a mallet, I was able to remove the old block from the barrel.

For those about to build; a few small tips - don't try to loosen the old block by beating it sideways as the barrel under the block is splined. Also, be careful when putting the Sage block on. I was a little too enthusiastic with the mallet and ended up driving the block too far backwards and past the screw holes on the chassis. I had to tap the block forward again until the holes were aligned. Also use some gun oil on the barrel and block to help ease the job. FWIW, the roll pin in the barrel doesn't line up with the block and the chassis holes so I didn't bother to reuse it. Finally, my stock came with the crush washer instead of the shims. All I did was gently tap the gas block onto the washer as far back as it would go with a small rubber mallet. The gas lock then threaded on and timed correctly with no tools required.

All in all, a much easier job than what it sounds like when reading the manual. Of course, I did read it through a couple of times over before starting so I knew what I was getting in to. The hardest and most time consuming part was getting the old block removed and the new Sage block on. Don't be scared to beat the crap out of the old one with a mallet and a piece of wood.

I'll take a few detailed pics later and post them. Otherwise, very happy with the Sage and can't wait to range test this weekend.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.