M14 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just installed a shooting sight trigger and the safety is now almost impossible to disengage or engage.

While it does still work it seems like it is now 10 times harder than it was before.

The trigger functions fine and the safety does work.

I've tried adjusting the Allen screw for the take-up in and out but I actually like to have a little bit of take-up and that didn't do anything.

The rifle only has about 5 to 600 rounds on it and the safety was always kind of hard from the get-go but it is really hard now..

Anybody have any ideas on how I might loosen the safety up a little bit to work as it did before the install, or is it something I'm just going to have to live with?

I forgot to add that when I have the trigger group outside of the rifle and I push down on the hammer taking tension off of it the safety engages really easy.

When installed in the rifle I have to push so hard on it that it literally pinches the skin off my finger.

I will say that this trigger is awesome and there is a huge difference!

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Just thought I would give an update..

I removed the shooting site lightweight hammer and plunger and reinstalled the regular G.I. style hammer and plunger and the safety now works easy again.

It seems to have something to do with the different geometry of the shooting site lightweight hammer and .

I wonder if I may need to cut a couple of coils off of the hammer spring in order to be able to use the shooting site hammer to have the safety engage and disengage normal again?

Going to shoot Art another PM.

Art, sorry to bother you again with this.

·
Eye Master
4,005 Posts
Do NOT cut anything off the hammer spring.

The issue is the lug on the side of the hammer. The safety is a redundant design, it not only blocks the trigger, but the safety is also a hook that snaps over a lug that sticks out the left side of the hammer. It is between the hammer and the trigger housing, so you can't easily see it without disassembly.

The very tip of the lug is sharp, because the hammer is newly machined. Worn USGI hammers, and maybe new cast hammers won't be as sharp and the safety is easier to engage.

Solution is to polish the tip of the lug to round out the sharp tip, or to polish the tip of the hook on the safety. Alternatively, if you want, I could polish one and send you a replacement - though without your safety to try it on, that's a little stab in the dark.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Art

Thanks so much again for your time.

I need to update this thread in the other thread and I took your advice above from the earlier thread and the safety works great now. I didn't cut any springs or anything and just did a little bit of polishing.

The safety moves with just my one or two fingers now and that's pretty much the way I like it as was before.

I've also got about 500 rounds on the trigger and it has definitely made improvement on my grouping.

Right now I'm just tweaking on front band tension for my G.I. stock and getting ready to bed it in.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts