M14 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a reminder to be a where of your muzzle control guys. Today on the pistol range a guy got hurt. Thank God it wasn't anything permanent. I guess from what I was told a guy with a Glock or something similar accidentally fired off a round without his muzzle down range and the bullet struck the sound buffer overhead. This in turn caused shrapnel from the buffer to hit another shooters face next to him on the firing line. Safety glasses are std on all our ranges so he didn't loose his eye, but his face was cuts up bad enough around his eye.

Remember Glocks, XDs and others are point and shoot pistols without manual safeties to deactivate. Please keep you fingers off the trigger until you're ready to fire. That should go without say with any firearm, but with pistols of this type especially. Please be safe out there.

As a response to this incident as a range, we are now going to hire a few more range officers so there is going to be even more eyes on the firing lines. We are now going to have once a week mandatory safety briefings for us RO's, and probably our tolerance levels are going to be very low. It has been policy forever RO's discretion, but it might change to zero tolerance. I don't know yet. We all like to try and keep it casual/friendly, but safety is paramount.

·
Registered
896 Posts
WOW. Totally unacceptable. Safety is simple. It amazes me how negligent some shooters can be. No excuse -- keep your muzzle pointed down range at all times.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's just like those blaming them Blackhawk Serpa holsters for the bullet in their leg. They draw with their finger on the trigger as soon as it clears the holster. Add a little stress, being untrained, nothing but a passive safety, and so they shoot themselves.

In my mind I was trying to visualize how this happened. I figure it must have been on a reload. Doing one of those sexy "I seen it on TV" muzzle up sort of deals and the squeezed the trigger someplace in between the reload and the target.

I'm concerned with CCW coming into effect Nov 1st here. What will I'll see on the streets once I graduate the academy and land a LE job? What qualifies people to carry here isn't training, and a lot of people are buying handguns for that purpose. Most need a lot of traning. I'm afraid it will be scary at best here till they iron out some details.

·
Registered
3,903 Posts
Yeah, I always have my antenna up when I shoot on a civilian range. Much different than being on a 'Hot' LE range where everyone is on the same page as far as safety goes. Lasering, fingers on the triggers, poor trigger control.................sometimes very scary. The range I go to does not usually have RSO's running around calling the shots (pun intended) like some of the civilian ranges that I've used.

On the other hand, how deep do we want the goverment's hand into our Second Amendment rights? First they will mandate 'reasonable training and affordable fees'. Then 'they' will have a foot hold into increasing fees and mandating more and longer and more expensive 'reasonable training'. If we could trust the lawmakers to use common sense for firearms ownership and CCW users it would be one story, but these jokers can't even be trusted with providing social services.

Dunno, I guess that individual ranges need to exercise control over the folks that use their facilities and unsafe shooters need to be held civilly liable to the n'th degree for their actions.

·
Registered
4,689 Posts
Through all of my years as a police firearms instructor, I told my students that they could violate just about any of the other firearms safety rules except the one about keeping the muzzle pointed in a safe direction at all times.

I meant even if you do have an unintentional discharge it won't hurt anything because the barrel is pointed in a safe direction and the bullet won't kill anyone or do any property damage and you won't end up in front of a grand jury for murder. You might end up being embarrassed and feel like a fool, but that will be about the worst of your encounter with Mr Murphy and his laws.

7th

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.