M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Garand, and I know to use only ammo designed for it specifically, unless I want a broken op-rod.

Are there similar concerns with the M1A? I have only fired regular 7.62NATO with ~150g bullets through it, but would it be safe to use hot & heavy elk rounds?

Thanks...

·
Registered
5,592 Posts
I'm no M14/M1A expert here.

But it is often recommended not to use bullet weights over 175 grain.

Hot and heavy hunting loads could possibly damage (bend) your operating rod.

Others will be along that are much more knowledgeable.

·
Registered
4,220 Posts
OK, speaking in general here, do not use "superperformance" or "magnum performance" loads. Keep bullet weight below 180 grains (depends) and no "high velocity" rounds. Like your M1, you can use these rounds but you are looking for trouble down the road. You don't need "hot and heavy" rounds for elk - lots of elk have been taken with the "old" Swed (6.5x55 140 grain) and they were just as dead as those taken with a super magnum.

·
Registered
9,027 Posts
There are the same concerns involved with the m1a as there are with the garand with port pressure and op rod damage. If you are reloading your own, you have more flexibility.
If you are buying off the shelf, then you should avoid hot and heavy unless you know the particular powder and weight used.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
When looking at the posted velocity, you definitely want to keep it no higher than...

150gr 2800fps
165/168gr 2650fps
175/180gr 2600fps
I also use a Schuster overbored and ported gas plug on all my full size rifles.
CurtC, thanks for the guideline. Everyone else, thanks for the guidance.

To be frank, I will stick with ammo similar to NATO ball at the range; I don't hunt. What I do want is a round which will give someone hunting me a Really Bad Day. Of course, I will get a zero for it at the range so that I can dial it in, if needed.

And I hope it is never needed!

·
Registered
Scout Squad AA9126
765 Posts
What I do want is a round which will give someone hunting me a Really Bad Day.
And that's specifically what the M14 with M80 was designed to do. The M14 can be an exceptionally accurate long distance rifle, but for my purposes I utilize it as designed- to reliably hit man-sized targets at distances I can positively identify human threats to my life.

·
Registered
213 Posts
What I found what works is Speer 165 gr spitzer flat base zeroed at 2 inch's high at 100 yards will hit a beer bottle at 600 yards all day long .

Years ago I looked for the perfect load for the 308 I wanted it all good speed good bullet weight and shape using different powders .I thought I would find some magic load .
I used 44 grains of AA2460 at the time I had a lot of it then bought some again and it seamed to hot I ended up dropping to 43 grains .

·
Registered
77 Posts
I have a Garand, and I know to use only ammo designed for it specifically, unless I want a broken op-rod.

Are there similar concerns with the M1A? I have only fired regular 7.62NATO with ~150g bullets through it, but would it be safe to use hot & heavy elk rounds?

Thanks...
I have found Federal Premium 165 grain SPBT hunting loads listed at 2650 FPS and Federal Gold Medal 168 HPBT match ammo shoot great in my M1A’s. Federal also loads Trophy Bonded and Nosler partitions bullets to the same velocities that expand perfectly and really get deeper penetration on big game like Elk.

·
Registered
437 Posts
When looking at the posted velocity, you definitely want to keep it no higher than...

150gr 2800fps
165/168gr 2650fps
175/180gr 2600fps

I also use a Schuster overbored and ported gas plug on all my full size rifles.
I also use a Schuster product, their adjustable gas plug. Pretty much safe with most rifle powders as long as you adjust it right---EVERYTIME you change loads!
GregT.

·
Registered
10,247 Posts
What I found what works is Speer 165 gr spitzer flat base zeroed at 2 inch's high at 100 yards will hit a beer bottle at 600 yards all day long .

Years ago I looked for the perfect load for the 308 I wanted it all good speed good bullet weight and shape using different powders .I thought I would find some magic load .
I used 44 grains of AA2460 at the time I had a lot of it then bought some again and it seamed to hot I ended up dropping to 43 grains .
LOL. The X ring on a 600 yard target is about 6 inches in diameter. So if you can hit a beer bottle "all day long" at 600 you are the best shot in the world. And with an M1A, non match bulleto_O? Good luck!

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
People are thin skinned, and do not need special rounds. You simply need tell them politely that you disagree with their political views, and they combust.
🤣
You aren't wrong. But the ones I'm thinking about are the ones who are super angry and own firearms. The ones who get triggered are not the ones I am worried about rampaging though neighborhoods to conduct home-invasion burglaries. I almost happened in the LA Riots. Charlton Heston said that several of his LA-area liberal friends asked him if they could borrow a firearm!

EDIT: Grammar fix.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts