M14 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,
Happy Memorial Day and God Bless our Men and Women in arms .
I was wondering is there anyone that knows the safe operating chamber pressure for the M14(M1A). The data out there says the safe max pressure is around 60,000 something. Just rying to be safe. Iam going to try Hornady 178gr A-Max or 180gr. BTHP. Not much load data out there. Most of the data on pressure is on the low or high Extreme. Thanks Rublehatch!!!

·
Super Moderator
12,078 Posts
Hey everyone,
Happy Memorial Day and God Bless our Men and Women in arms .
I was wondering is there anyone that knows the safe operating chamber pressure for the M14(M1A). The data out there says the safe max pressure is around 60,000 something. Just rying to be safe. Iam going to try Hornady 178gr A-Max or 180gr. BTHP. Not much load data out there. Most of the data on pressure is on the low or high Extreme. Thanks Rublehatch!!!

For M1-M14-M1A's chamber preasures should stay at about 50,000psi and you should stay away from the 180's at least untell you know your rifle and how too reload for it, its a gas gun not a bolt gun.

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
Not trying to complicate things, but................

...without a pressure gage, we really cannot know the actual pressure. Yes, the books say 50 to 60 thousand Copper Units of Pressure, but we have no way to confirm that we are in that bracket. Stay with powders designed for the M14, stay below 175 grains on your bullets, try to stay around 2500 to 2600 fps, and you and your friend should be good for years. Just because you have a Ferrari doesn't mean you have to drive 200 miles per hour and/or use nitro fuel ALL the time. Cheers, dave

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Safe Chamber pressure

Thanks everyone for your comments. I surely dont want to dammage her. Right now Iam using 168gr BTHP with 41.5 gr of IMR 4895. Iam showing no signs of high pressure. I was just thinking if I went with a heavier bullet I could go farther with less interference buy range and wind shift.
Thank You Rublehatch

·
Registered
581 Posts
I have been shooting 168 SMK's with 41.5 gr of Hodgdon 4895 in an LC case with CCI 34 primers and all is going well. With the case volume limits of the 308 case I am not even sure it is possible to have a dangerous overpressure but someone here probably knows a lot more than I do. My load fills the case to the shoulder, and the seated bullet must fill up the rest of the space in the case fairly close to level of the charge. I know the Palma shooters shoot a compressed charge in 308, but most of them are shooting bolt guns.

John

·
Registered
10,644 Posts

·
Registered
455 Posts
You are limited by your gas system and the recoil dynamics of your rifle.

The bolt recoils off the receiver heel of your rifle. The sidewalls absorb the impact energy. Hit it long enough and hard enough and you will get sidewall fractures.

When? Heck if I know. One bud, shooting target rounds, his receiver cracked right above the bolt release on its sixth barrel. There was a little chip of metal gone as the cracked piece was a semi circle just above the bolt release. One M1a I own, it cracked behind the rare sight knob. SA replaced it for free and I bought the rifle with the new receiver.

These are pictures of Garand receivers. This one cracked with Greek surplus HXP 69 ball.

This one is cracked, the seller did not state how it cracked.

If you want the maximum number of rounds out of your M1a, do not shoot maximum loads out of the thing. Stay within the operating envelope of the rifle.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.