M14 Forum banner
21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
As for buying ammo, PA isn't too far away. I do love a good road trip.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
As I have seen even in my own state, not all gun owners share the same view of what acceptable gun laws mean. To me, none are acceptable. Some here have no use or belief in anything that holds over a certain number of rounds in a magazine. Some believe that an internal magazine is all that is needed. In many cases it seems to be the hunters versus the sports shooter, yet the sports shooter is most often a hunter. We have many purists among us whom seem to argue simply for the sake of arguing. Some say (insert southern drawl here) "I only need one shot". Many are on the "assault weapons" bandwagon. Even my own conservative non liberal mother in law questioned why I needed so many rounds in some of my rifles. After talking to her and showing the true sides of the gun debate she will often capitulate her negative views in favor of freedom.
Divide and conquer. The antis have succeeded in convincing the "Elmer Fuds" they don't want their hunting firearms. They only want the "evil" guns. The "Elmer Fuds" are being selfish with their heads in the sand and want to avoid confrontation, thinking that this will keep them safe in the long run.

Now, with the above statement, I know that all "Elmer Fuds" are not like this. No offense is meant. If you are offended, then you are too sensitive. I am mostly an "Elmer Fud" myself. I only own half an AR-15 and one SAI Scout. I bird hunt with my grandpa's shotgun, and I killed my only deer with grandpa's lever gun. I do plan to bridge the gap between modern sporting rifle types and "Elmer Fuds" by taking my Scout deer and bear hunting this year.

The gap between hunters and modern sporting rifle people must be bridged. We are all on the same side.

·
Registered
4,961 Posts
Divide and conquer. The antis have succeeded in convincing the "Elmer Fuds" they don't want their hunting firearms. They only want the "evil" guns. The "Elmer Fuds" are being selfish with their heads in the sand and want to avoid confrontation, thinking that this will keep them safe in the long run.

Now, with the above statement, I know that all "Elmer Fuds" are not like this. No offense is meant. If you are offended, then you are too sensitive. I am mostly an "Elmer Fud" myself. I only own half an AR-15 and one SAI Scout. I bird hunt with my grandpa's shotgun, and I killed my only deer with grandpa's lever gun. I do plan to bridge the gap between modern sporting rifle types and "Elmer Fuds" by taking my Scout deer and bear hunting this year.

The gap between hunters and modern sporting rifle people must be bridged. We are all on the same side.
Hit the nail squarely on the head here....

That was one of the issues we faced here...and not only firearms rights.

The anti-hunting types in "Kalifornia, The Democratic Peoples Republic of" have been pushing a lot of hunting related bans. This was the opportunity to get "sports shooters" and "hunters" to fight for each others causes.

The goal by the "bunny-huggers" is to ban all hunting, fishing, and firearms in the PRK as evidenced here.

AB711 - is a ban on all non-lead ammunition. We currently have a lead-free requirement in what the bunny-huggers call the "Condor Zone".

Prop. 117 - Banned the hunting of Mountain Lions

SB1221 - Bans the use of dogs to hunt bear and bobcat

AB1213 - Bans the trapping of bobcat

Reactions: russ0861

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Hit the nail squarely on the head here....

That was one of the issues we faced here...and not only firearms rights.

The anti-hunting types in "Kalifornia, The Democratic Peoples Republic of" have been pushing a lot of hunting related bans. This was the opportunity to get "sports shooters" and "hunters" to fight for each others causes.

The goal by the "bunny-huggers" is to ban all hunting, fishing, and firearms in the PRK as evidenced here.

AB711 - is a ban on all non-lead ammunition. We currently have a lead-free requirement in what the bunny-huggers call the "Condor Zone".

Prop. 117 - Banned the hunting of Mountain Lions

SB1221 - Bans the use of dogs to hunt bear and bobcat

AB1213 - Bans the trapping of bobcat
Lol, get all gun owners in the state to buy tranquilizer guns, tranq as many of the aforementioned animals as possible and release them in the fu-fu areas of the state. I'd bet the powers that be would change their mind quick, fast, and in a hurry once the cute and fuzzies started eating the campaign contributors.

·
Registered
4,961 Posts
Lol, get all gun owners in the state to buy tranquilizer guns, tranq as many of the aforementioned animals as possible and release them in the fu-fu areas of the state. I'd bet the powers that be would change their mind quick, fast, and in a hurry once the cute and fuzzies started eating the campaign contributors.
I had the thought that it would be funny to trap a large number of mountain lions and black bears (last Griz was killed here in the 30's) and release them inside the State Capital building.

Hilarity would ensue...

ICONWINK

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
I saw this the other day on Facebook. Someone from Orange County NY filed a FOIA request wanting to know the number of rifles registered with the SAFE Act. NYSP denied the request.
I think they were anticipating mass non-compliance with the law ahead of time.

http://ocshooters.com/blog/?p=980

Reactions: russ0861

·
Registered
366 Posts
I saw this the other day on Facebook. Someone from Orange County NY filed a FOIA request wanting to know the number of rifles registered with the SAFE Act. NYSP denied the request.

They have little to no rifles registered with their SAFE Act. They really don't know who has what. They will only know if you comply.

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
They have little to no rifles registered with their SAFE Act. They really don't know who has what. They will only know if you comply.
Or start going through dealers log books. I wouldn't put it past this state to try that tactic. "We, Uh, got permission from the ATF, to pull the records. Yeah, thats the ticket. It's for the kids. And the safety of everyone. You understand, right?"

·
Registered
1,187 Posts

And not like any of us sent in fake registrations. I would never do that. DI2

Reactions: NYCSTRIPES

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
I did hear about someone registering a BB gun, but that's unconfirmed.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Can't they just take the 4473 papers from the Gun shops and bang they know who has the "evil" Firearms?
How long are the stores required to keep these 4473 records with the current ATF rules?

Is it about as long as they keep their other business records before they destroy and throw them out?

How much description of the firearm is on the 4473 form? (I surmise other than it is a long arm there's not much more description)

If no one complies they won't be able to enforce these new laws they have passed because they have no records at this time and can't afford it.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
How long are the stores required to keep these 4473 records with the current ATF rules?

Is it about as long as they keep their other business records before they destroy and throw them out?

How much description of the firearm is on the 4473 form? (I surmise other than it is a long arm there's not much more description)

If no one complies they won't be able to enforce these new laws they have passed because they have no records at this time and can't afford it.
California has been keeping copies of DROS since the early 90s. It is defacto registration here. They may not know make, model, or serial number, but they know if you bought a handgun or long gun from a dealer. That is one way that California DOJ gets names for it's prohibited list that they are sending out goon squads for.

As far as the ATF destroying records when they are supposed too, well we see how well they did in Milwaukee and Fast and Furious. I'm sure Herr Holder would make sure that his ATF is following the letter and the sprit of the law. I mean, he does such a good job already right?

Reactions: GARRARD

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
The prior records are more or less useless. I have bought many rifles and handguns that I have sold either in person or out of state with no sale record. They may have a record that I bought something , but I sold it long ago. They have no way of knowing that. BUT now under the safe act all transfers must go through a FFL meaning there will be a purchase and sale record, and theoretically any weapon you purchased but did not sell you should still have. But you could have lost it, or given it to a close relative (Certain Transfers are still legal). I think turning those forms into a registry would be hard. Bottomline if they want a registry they will make one, if they want to confiscate our guns they will ban them all and count on our spineless neighbors to turn us in. Thats much easier them correlating all these records.

Justin

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
I hope the NYSP is swimming in nonsense Bloomberg AR15 registrations.

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
I read it - twice. I didn't see the word "confiscation" anywhere in the document. Just thought I'd point that out. USA2
Not in the final Safe act, It WAS on the table during the crafting of the law. That is the endgame, everything else is just a stepping stone. The registration is just a delay to confiscation. Know where they are so they can take them later. Either the next time someone in a different state goes on a shooting rampage, or when you miss renewing the registration (remember it has to be done every 5 years). How many times do we forget to renew something, or pay our water bill a few days late because we forgot about it. Or when they find out your (not you personally) on anti-depressants and not mentally stable enough to own an 'assault weapon'. If no more AWs are permitted in the state, and you can't transfer them after you die, and AWs that aren't renewed on time are seized, how many years until they wind up getting them all? 10? 20? Maybe.

Justin

21 - 38 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.