M14 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My recently acquired Loaded M1A came with a Sadlak aluminum scope mount. My previous M1A had been using the, Low Bassett picatinny. I know there are positives and negatives for each design, not the least of which is Aluminum vs, Steel. I also know this has been discussed on this forum before in some form or another. I'm looking for advise on which to keep as both are decent mounts. For those who have experience or knowledge with both, please weigh in with opinions as I only wish to keep one. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I have the Bassett, mine is aluminum but has been grooved an steel pins pressed in for contact with the receiver. How do you like your Bassett? If its working fine why change? Sell the Sadlack....if you had the Sadlack an it was working fine I would say keep it an sell the Bassett. If it ain't broke why fix it? I like my Bassett an it won't be up for sale.

·
Registered
4,006 Posts
My recently acquired Loaded M1A came with a Sadlak aluminum scope mount. My previous M1A had been using the, Low Bassett picatinny. I know there are positives and negatives for each design, not the least of which is Aluminum vs, Steel. I also know this has been discussed on this forum before in some form or another. I'm looking for advise on which to keep as both are decent mounts. For those who have experience or knowledge with both, please weigh in with opinions as I only wish to keep one. Thanks in advance.

This sounds like a one gun w/two available mounts problem. Mount the Sadlak at home, since it requires more patience to mount, and take it to the range. Try it out. You will have some differences that you either like, or dislike. Keep the one you are happy with, and sell/trade the other. dozier

·
Registered
10,637 Posts
To me it would depend on how I intended to use the rifle. If I plan on never taking the scope off the rifle then I would go with the Sadlak but if I wanted to be able to switch between iron sights and scope fairly often then I'd use the Bassett.

Reactions: Pants

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sadlak vs Bassett

Cleaning and dis-assembly are are concern with the Sadlak. It's a pita to remove for bolt dis-assembly and cleaning. Never want to use irons as I'm too old to see them. MOM at 100 for SHTF maybe but unlikely.
I'll shoot both. If one holds POI better than the other, that's the one I'll keep. If the same, I'll stick with the Bassett as it's easier to remove. Thanks for all the reply's.

·
Registered
5,751 Posts
Are you removing the mount to remove the bolt? If I can get the bolt out with an ARMS 18 mount (full rail) installed, you should have no problem getting the bolt out with the Sadlak installed. It just takes a little different technique, but once you get it it's easy. My LRB M25 extended rail sits lower than the Sadlak and I have no problem getting the bolt in and out. You keep the bolt at the same angle to clear the safety bridge but you pull the bolt out the side instead of up, reverse to put it back. The big thing is clearing the safety bridge with the firing pin tail, once you get past that you're good to go.

·
Registered
10,637 Posts
I have had a Sadlak mount for a couple of years and I haven't had any problems with removing my bolt.

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
Nah, it's just that my dad taught me to hold my tongue the right way when I felt like cussing at it. DI5
I guess you don't throw things either?

I was taught by mechanics that in order to get an engine to run correctly, a healthy application of foul language and the tossing of craftsman tools is necessary.

·
Registered
10,637 Posts
I guess you don't throw things either?

I was taught by mechanics that in order to get an engine to run correctly, a healthy application of foul language and the tossing of craftsman tools is necessary.
Oh I throw things too but not my rifles.

·
Registered
3,559 Posts
I have a bassett, and i love it. does everything i need it to do. in the word of mr. bassett himself, "just how big a truck do you plan on running this thing over with anyway?". I find that to be a valid question.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.