M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I now have their TI piston and the enlarged mag release and the NM Spring guide.

The only thing that took any time was getting that larger Sadlak pin in with the spring compressed on that mag release. I ended up clamping the trigger group down so I could get it started

Now I just have to shoot it.

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
I have a loaded with the same mods, your going to be very happy with them. The large mag release is really cool.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Nice upgrades, have you done the gas cylinder shim kit. I'm gonna have to do it with mine. Can't seem to keep the gas plug tight.

·
Registered
5,747 Posts
im new to the M14, so you grease the spring? why
do you grease the spring guide too?
I do it since the spring is metal, the op rod is metal and the spring guide is metal. All that metal running over each other creates friction and wear. Some grease on the spring and guide helps smooth it out and maybe give the spring a little longer life span.

Nice upgrades, have you done the gas cylinder shim kit. I'm gonna have to do it with mine. Can't seem to keep the gas plug tight.
Have you tried torquing the plug to 15 ft-lbs?

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
I would shim the GC and put about 10-12 ftlbs on the plug and then shoot it !!!

Reactions: Alpha Wolf

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
Grease them both. How much grease you use is up to you but it's somewhere between a glob and a light sheen. I like to use a liberal amount on the parts your talking about without it getting messy.

·
Registered
467 Posts
The recoil spring rides pretty closely on the spring guide, and inside the operating rod, too. Since it is essentially the "muscle" of your rifle's action, it is the part of your rifle that moves the most... there's alot of metal going back and forth.

Accordingly, it is a grease point. Grease the rod without slobbing it on too heavily, and similarly grease the spring. Reassemble and have fun.

Clean and regrease periodically.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Yes

I did them myself.

Sadlak does provide the tapered pin needed to push the pin out of the trigger group if you do not have any punches. But I had punches that were better. Also some small clamps, a drill, a board wood, and a vice and hammer are needed. Nothing too special.

Getting the pin back in was the toughest part until I decided to clamp the trigger group to the board on the vice. You kind of need 3 hands to do it..

·
Registered
73 Posts
Cool, thanks for the info. I definitely want to do those upgrades to my socom, But I need to start with the shim kit.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Just installed the Sadlak TiN piston, and NM spring guide, onto my SOCOM too. Nice pieces! Also went with the SEI gas plug while I was at it.

Haven't attempted the tactical mag release yet. for another day

1 - 20 of 23 Posts