M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I received my Sadlak NM guide today & installed it promptly. When I pull back on the guide rod a few inches I hear a grating sound & friction. After inspecting it and swapping the SAI & Sadlak guides out a few times it appears the problem is that the Sadlak guide is pushing the spring up into the interior of the guide rod when under tension and making a lot of contact. I know this can't be normal! It sounds and feels terrible. Kinda burst my happy bubble when I was installing it. On a good note my new vented handguard looks sharp and only required a little fitting around the op rod. Does anyone have any ideas why this is happening with the Sadlak guide???

·
Banned
2,325 Posts
If your op rod guide is loose it could cause this as well as a wallowed out spring guide hole or loose pin.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Its a new rifle only a 150 rounds or so. I can't see the spring guide hole being wallowed out. The op rod guide feels tight and the alignment checks out just fine visually....maybe my op rod is out of spec or tweaked and the Sadlak is precision enough to make it evident? Its just weird.....

·
Registered
Custom service rifle builder
8,108 Posts
Installing Sadlak

First, make sure you put grease on the guide and a little on the outside of the recoil spring. As long as the op rod does not bind against the barrel it should be good to go. If it does bind, my first thought would be that there may be a problem with the location of the connector hole in the receiver. This was fairly common on Armscorp receivers and occasionally on Springfield. Sadlak has a very good quality control program and I have never heard of their guides being out of spec. If you think the guide is the probelm give Sadlak a call.
The fact that the standard guide doesn't seem to rub or bind isn't signifiacnt because they are made with very loose tolerances.

·
Registered
82 Posts
First, make sure you put grease on the guide and a little on the outside of the recoil spring. As long as the op rod does not bind against the barrel it should be good to go. If it does bind, my first thought would be that there may be a problem with the location of the connector hole in the receiver. This was fairly common on Armscorp receivers and occasionally on Springfield. Sadlak has a very good quality control program and I have never heard of their guides being out of spec. If you think the guide is the probelm give Sadlak a call.
The fact that the standard guide doesn't seem to rub or bind isn't signifiacnt because they are made with very loose tolerances.
So since I have an Armscorp receiver...should I be looking at a different NMspring guide?? OR, is there something else I can do. I have been looking at the NM spring guide + some tools from Sadlak.

Just shot my M1a for a few sessions and now , (Winter), I am looking to do some accuracy mods. Unitizing , spring guide , etc.

Thanks

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I had the guide and the spring well greased. It doesn't appear to be binding up at all just the guide rod dragging over the spring makes noise & friction when the sadlak is installed. Has anyone else experienced this? If its not a big deal I will just shoot it as is. Kind of frusterating because I thought the Sadlak would smooth up the action.

·
Registered
623 Posts
I would inspect it to see that it was smooth (which it prob. is) grease it good,cycle it a few times by hand(could dry fire for trigger practice)then shoot a few rounds(put a dent in a battle pack) and look at it again.Sadlak has a very good reputation,and i bet it has more to do with break in,possibly with the rifle.

·
Registered
279 Posts
I've never had any problems with my Sadlak guide rod on any of my Armcorp receivers..(4) Sounds like maybe your spring has a bur on the inside.. or just needs grease..lots of grease can't hurt anything on your spring guide.. make sure your op rod guide is not out of alignment. ie not centered. B2B

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I just took it apart & checked it all out again. I can't see anything out of alignment, etc. I greased the living heck out of it and that seemed to help some. Then I worked the action several times really fast. It smoothed out a bit. Still have a little buzzing of the op rod making contact with the spring during the final 1 1/2" or so. Not near as smooth as with the flat SAI guide but I still think I'm better off with the Sadlak. I am planning on ordering a Tubbs spring soon so that might help. Thanks for the replies, guys! I appreciate the quick response. And I really appreciate the reply from Righthand, I'm guessing you work for Sadlak? That is great service! I have no doubts about your product I'm sure its something a little off with my rifle. It will probably smooth out with some shooting.

·
Registered
255 Posts
I had exactly the same experience with my Socom 16.The inside of the oprod was very rough,which I believe caused the grinding noise.I sanded it with a dowel wrapped in sandpaper,and it helped a lot,but a dental pick still reveals rough spots inside.I just run a KMT spring guide in the Socom,but plan to hone it wth a ball type hone someday.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I've never had any problems with my Sadlak guide rod on any of my Armcorp receivers..(4) Sounds like maybe your spring has a bur on the inside.. or just needs grease..lots of grease can't hurt anything on your spring guide.. make sure your op rod guide is not out of alignment. ie not centered. B2B
Thanks for the positive post about Armscorp and the NM spring guide. I'm goin ahead with an order.

·
Retired
4,769 Posts
I had exactly the same experience with my Socom 16.The inside of the oprod was very rough,which I believe caused the grinding noise.I sanded it with a dowel wrapped in sandpaper,and it helped a lot,but a dental pick still reveals rough spots inside.I just run a KMT spring guide in the Socom,but plan to hone it wth a ball type hone someday.
This is what I was thinking, that the inside tube of your SAI op rod is rough and there is enough room with the flat spring guide for the spring to wiggle around and sort of avoid the rough spots. You can take a small wooden dowel and run it up and down the inside of your op rod to feel for roughness. If you have a USGI op rod, try swapping that out for your SAI commercial op rod.

·
Registered
4,057 Posts
Grease It and Forget it, both my Match Rifles have TRW OP Rods with NM Guides and do the same thing, no Problems with function or accuracy!

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Grease It and Forget it, both my Match Rifles have TRW OP Rods with NM Guides and do the same thing, no Problems with function or accuracy!
This is good to know. Still kind of funny to work the action and have it sound like a zipper. Did yours smooth out at all with shooting?

·
Banned
2,325 Posts
I bought a new SAI and it has over 500 rounds through it with a standard G.I. guide and it still sounds like yours, just a little less than before, when new. You might want to get and keep a spare op rod spring around anyway, because there is apparent wear going on and wear causes them to get thinner.......actually, all springs for the entire rifle,...they are the number one thing to break or go down that can put you out of business.....Yep, the tiny little spring circlip that goes under the roller will wreck your day at the range when you least expect it.

·
Registered
4,057 Posts
This is good to know. Still kind of funny to work the action and have it sound like a zipper. Did yours smooth out at all with shooting?
Yes! but they are still a Bitch to remove and install and I am talking 15 and 10 Years back, one is an Armscorp Rear Lugged Receiver and the other one a Fed Ord!
PS Don't let anyone deter You from Armscorp Receivers, the are just fine,like I said before, one of my Match Rifles was built around an Armscorp Receiver and my Standard Rifle with a Fulton Receiver made by Armscorp and it is as Good as it Gets!ICONWINK

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
figured it out!

I figured out the problem. I took a cleaning rod & some brake cleaner and cleaned all of the grease out of the op rod and examined it closely with a pen light. There were some nasty machine marks & one bad burr. So I hit the hardware store and got several grades of sandpaper, fine emery cloth, and a dowel the same dimension of the sadlak guide. I started with the heavier grit (150) and worked the burr down. Then I went to 320 grit for the machine marks, then 600 and fine emery to polish it up. I didn't remove a lot of material just the burr and polished it. Only took ten minutes of careful work. Its a mirror finish inside now. Then I cleaned it all up, greased it and put it back together. Its smooth as silk now. Thanks for the sandpaper suggestion!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts