M14 Forum banner

Sadlak Mount Front POC

472 Views 24 Replies 9 Participants Last post by  Jordan81
Good morning gentlemen,

What's the popular consensus on mounting a Sadlak Mount, re the front point of contact? Does anyone insert a piece of material to prevent the set screw point from digging into the receiver? Maybe a piece of a feeler gauge or plastic? Thank you all in advance!

-jordan
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

· Registered
Custom service rifle builder
9,255 Posts
You can do that if you want to. The front bearing screw does not dig into the receiver, but it will make a mark in the finish. The screw only needs to have enough pressure on the receiver to keep the mount from moving around.

· Registered
2,481 Posts
They're flat point set screws, right? If not, switching to flat point ones would even out the minimal pressure they apply to the receiver and lower the friction when sliding. I don't think there is reason for concern here, but that might be worth considering if you're worried. That would be better than a cupped or pointed set screw.

· Registered
2,137 Posts
I thought of using bronze setscrew instead of the steel. It gives the mount 3-solid points w/ the front screw peg. Will probably work fine w/o it.

Reactions: Jordan81

· Registered
10,973 Posts
If that screw is actually displacing metal on the receiver, then you've got a bigger problem than you realize.

Reactions: Jordan81

· Registered
796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
They're flat point set screws, right? If not, switching to flat point ones would even out the minimal pressure they apply to the receiver and lower the friction when sliding. I don't think there is reason for concern here, but that might be worth considering if you're worried. That would be better than a cupped or pointed set screw.
I talked to Mike Sadlak the other day and he mentioned it was an oval point set screw, if I remember correctly.
He was kind enough to give me the background story of how he got started building these mounts. Fascinating story; great guy.

· Registered
3,266 Posts
Set screw screwed up the finish on my rifle.
They should be made with a setscrew with a ball type point attached to a small plate that won't rotate when setting it. That's my ameture description.

· Registered
796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
They should be made with a setscrew with a ball type point attached to a small plate that won't rotate when setting it. That's my ameture description.
That would be ideal. I’m thinking of using a small piece of feeler gauge to absorb the screw

· Registered
3,266 Posts
That would be ideal. I’m thinking of using a small piece of feeler gauge to absorb the screw
Good idea, Wish I had thought of that. Perhaps that should be part of the instructions. LOL. Maybe a dab of grease between it and the receiver.

· Registered
731 Posts
I believe you can get them through a hardware supplier (the ball-detent type), or you can also get nylon-tipped ones as well. The only thing I'm not sure of is if you can get them with the correct threading.

· Registered
796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I believe you can get them through a hardware supplier (the ball-detent type), or you can also get nylon-tipped ones as well. The only thing I'm not sure of is if you can get them with the correct threading.
Thank you, I will check those out! Just finished massaging the Sadlak clip guide insert. These Sadlak instructions are like nothing I’ve ever seen and I was an aircraft tech pubs librarian in the Navy

· Registered
731 Posts
Thank you, I will check those out! Just finished massaging the Sadlak clip guide insert. These Sadlak instructions are like nothing I’ve ever seen and I was an aircraft tech pubs librarian in the Navy
If nylon-tipped, check out McMaster-Carr under the "non-marring set screw" section. They also have the ball-detent type, and spring plunger type.

Reactions: Redneck Yankee

· Registered
796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I've used and currently have Badger's on a few rifles - superb rings! I'm also partial to Night Force, especially the lightweight one's on my hunting rifles, and the Leupold Tactical rings which my Scout is currently wearing.
my thinking w the Badger rings is that they are tool steel and will take well to lapping. I do like the NF ones (I have a NF ATACR) but they are alum

1 - 20 of 25 Posts