M14 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
There are people that use them if they are using heavy loads.

Like 175 grain and maybe the 168 grain loads. If you r using ball ammo

No need for the grove in the piston.

·
Registered
9,129 Posts
The groove is an option, the standard TiN piston does not have the groove.

The whole reason that the grooves were created was to smooth out the movement of the piston. With a standard piston, the gasses create a doughnut ring around the piston at each of the radial grooves. Each of those grooves fill with gas as the piston moves toward the rear. The theory is that this causes a "wobble" in the piston as it moves. With the longitudinal groove the gasses spread out along the entire length of the piston at the same time which theoretically eliminates the wobble (the entire piston is encompassed with an envelope of gas at the same time).

I think that you really don't know if it helps until you try it. Gas pistons are very finicky and you have to test them in your rifle before you know if it really helps or not.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Do all TiN pistons have the groove, or is that a specific modification?
The groove is a specific modification to allow higher operating gas cylinder pressures without negatively impacting the op rod by slamming it. Sadlak makes a standard gas piston and the grooved NM mod.

Sadlak parts quality is excellent. I use their pistons in my competition rifles.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts