M14 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just finished changing out my gas piston and Op rod spring. I also did a few other things change out the hammer, hammer spring, extended Mag. release, etc. and also removed my barrel/action/trigger from the Springfield camo stock and fit it into a new Minelli wood stock.

One thing is driving me crazy is when I put in my gas piston and screw down the gas chamber plug, it forces the gas piston all the way to the back. Now the Op. rod makes contact with the gas piston. Is this normal?

·
Registered
All gun laws are unconstitutional
6,962 Posts
1 Pull the OP Rod back and lock it open with the bolt stop
2 Insert piston and let it drop to the bottom of the gas cylinder.
3 Install the gas plug and tighten it with your combo wrench.
4 Let the OP rod go forward and the OP rod will push the tail of the gas piston inside the gas cylinder.

Does this video help?
[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3DHBH8FaVeo[/ame]

·
Registered
5,747 Posts
Should have like 1 1/2 turns of the gas plug with the piston making contact with the op rod. You want it to shove the op rod, not slap into it and smack it back.

·
Registered
991 Posts
Yes, normal.

pg
USA2

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for all the info. much appreciated. I was just concerned that with the Op rod making that contact with the gas piston that it would damage the end or flatten it, somewhat but, if it is normal that it makes contact, that's a good thing, in my case.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts