M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I found out that I am medically disqualified for 4 out of the 5 jobs I applied for cross training. I have been tryinig really hard to get out of supply because I joined the military to serve and not sit at a desk pushing buttons in a state side base that I will never leave. The jobs I was going for were:

- Load Master
- SERE
- Combat Controller
- EOD
- In-flight Re-fueling

I am DQ'ed on the account of an eye disease my father haves that they know very little about and suspect that it "MAY" be passed from generation to generation and an unspecified head injury I received in high school that made me black out for a bit but have not any complications ever since. So basically I am DQ'ed on speculation and nothing firm. The only job I am Medically Qualed for is EOD and I am awaiting my ASVAB re-test resaults to see I am still qualed for EOD. It is a day like today that makes me realize that I should have gone Army when I first talked to the Army recruiter... at least I wouldnt have to be sitting at a desk and would be out in the field somewhere.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That is true but it is not what I want to do. Desk work just isnt for me.

·
Super Moderator
11,552 Posts
Never regret what you have done for us. Everyone is part of a team and team members have different functions. Without your job other jobs would not survive.

Prayers and thoughts are out for your application.

Tony.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the thoughts and prayers... I am supposed to fiind out my ASVAB score today but I have feeling that I will be waiting another week.

They tried to wave Andy... it was the waiver that got turned down. Some times I wish I wasnt so honest... Like I said. The medical issues that DQ'ed me have never caused me an issue.

·
Registered
237 Posts
It is a day like today that makes me realize that I should have gone Army when I first talked to the Army recruiter... at least I wouldnt have to be sitting at a desk and would be out in the field somewhere.
I was in the Air Force for 5 years and I know the feeling.

I swapped services for the Marine Corps in 1991 (to fight the first Gulf War) and never looked back.

Twenty years late I can say it was without a doubt the best decision I ever made in my life.

If you are able to swap services, I would do it now (before this massive drawdown begins).

Once the drawdown begins, service transfers will most probably not be entertained.

·
Inquisitor
11,356 Posts
I hope the ASVAB goes well. EOD is an awesome job.

·
Registered
681 Posts
It's tuff Man. Hang in there. Have You thought about medical? Get trained and swap over!! Army needs medics!!

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
If you don't have your scores by Monday PM me. I should be able to get them for you as long as they are in the system. Your only option currently to go active duty in the Army would be 18X(Special Forces Candidate) for grades E-1 through E-4. There are no vacancies for grades higher than that. The regular Army doesn't have much love for prior service. That being said 18X would definitely keep you from behind a desk. If interested check into the Blue to Green program. It allows members of other services to transfer to the Army. That being said it may be closed currently or closed soon due to the drawdown. You can PM me any questions you have and I will do my best to provide answers.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I started out in the Air Force and then went Army because of desk duty in the AF. Been in almost 23 years. Find out what works best for you and go for it.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I was in the Air Force for 5 years and I know the feeling.

I swapped services for the Marine Corps in 1991 (to fight the first Gulf War) and never looked back.

Twenty years late I can say it was without a doubt the best decision I ever made in my life.

If you are able to swap services, I would do it now (before this massive drawdown begins).

Once the drawdown begins, service transfers will most probably not be entertained.
Apparently it is too late for the swap. The Army has closed Blue to Green transfers as of right now and apparently have been closed for a while. Dont get me wrong though. I enjoy being in the Air Force but so far they seem very determind to keep me behind a desk and that is a no go for me.

If you don't have your scores by Monday PM me. I should be able to get them for you as long as they are in the system. Your only option currently to go active duty in the Army would be 18X(Special Forces Candidate) for grades E-1 through E-4. There are no vacancies for grades higher than that. The regular Army doesn't have much love for prior service. That being said 18X would definitely keep you from behind a desk. If interested check into the Blue to Green program. It allows members of other services to transfer to the Army. That being said it may be closed currently or closed soon due to the drawdown. You can PM me any questions you have and I will do my best to provide answers.
As much as I would love to go for Special Forces Candidate I dont think I would be qualified. If the Air Force DQ'ed me cause of my "medical" conditions, I bet the Army would as well. Plust I am already an E-5 in the Air Force and testing in March for E-6 (first time crosses fingers). I will give our military testing office a call and see if they have the scores already. They might not cause they have one woman in charge of the ASVAB and WAPS testing and that started yesterday.

I started out in the Air Force and then went Army because of desk duty in the AF. Been in almost 23 years. Find out what works best for you and go for it.
Trust man... I am researching all avenues I can take at this point. I wont rest until I receive a solid door to the face for all my options.

·
Registered
823 Posts
- In-flight Re-fueling
Years ago one of my Patrol Officers who is Air Force Reserve managed to get me a ride during a tanking mission. Spent a lot of time down with the boom operator. He made it look so easy that I almost thought I'd be able to do it.

The day made me a believer in the outstanding capabilities of the Reserves.

·
Registered
585 Posts
It may not be the pointy end of the Air Force but have you considered becoming a maintainer or dirt boy? I was a B1 Crew chief for 4 years before I cross-trained. Only time I ever sat at a desk was to put aircraft information into CAMS (maintinence tracking software). Rest of the time, I was out working on airplanes, turning wrenches and kicking tires. Some crew chiefs get to fly with the aircraft as well depending on airframe, don't know if that's possible with your limitations though? Now I'm in weather, which may be desk bound but since the army doesn't have their own weather guys, I can get attached to an Army unit and play army but still be able to pull the AF card from time to time. It's a good gig but much more deskbound than I would like.

Since you're supply, you know the dirt boys are a bit more pointy end. CE was outside the wire quite a bit in Iraq and AFG. Needed someone to fix all the stuff we bombed and CE is a pretty broad career field. Can do everything from plumbing to HVAC to Bio to electrical to construction...tons of opportunities there. Ops tempo can be a bit rough though, depending on which side of CE you choose. Some shops are currently on 1 to .5 dwelltime. Don't know if the policy changes recently but back when I was a first-termer, a cross-train was all but guarantee'd if you wanted it.

For the love of god, don't go SF. OSI, sure...not SF :p

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
It may not be the pointy end of the Air Force but have you considered becoming a maintainer or dirt boy? I was a B1 Crew chief for 4 years before I cross-trained. Only time I ever sat at a desk was to put aircraft information into CAMS (maintinence tracking software). Rest of the time, I was out working on airplanes, turning wrenches and kicking tires. Some crew chiefs get to fly with the aircraft as well depending on airframe, don't know if that's possible with your limitations though? Now I'm in weather, which may be desk bound but since the army doesn't have their own weather guys, I can get attached to an Army unit and play army but still be able to pull the AF card from time to time. It's a good gig but much more deskbound than I would like.

Since you're supply, you know the dirt boys are a bit more pointy end. CE was outside the wire quite a bit in Iraq and AFG. Needed someone to fix all the stuff we bombed and CE is a pretty broad career field. Can do everything from plumbing to HVAC to Bio to electrical to construction...tons of opportunities there. Ops tempo can be a bit rough though, depending on which side of CE you choose. Some shops are currently on 1 to .5 dwelltime. Don't know if the policy changes recently but back when I was a first-termer, a cross-train was all but guarantee'd if you wanted it.

Ok now I have question about EOD. I just had someone tell me they were in EOD for 8 days and that she washed out because there is a test they make you take. She said you spend the day in class and then the next day you take the test but you cannot take any study material home because it is classified. She said that you have to get a 95 or above which means you can only get 1 wrong... Is this true or she just talking the talk (of course this is question for those in EOD or have tried for EOD).

For the love of god, don't go SF. OSI, sure...not SF :p
I am going to have to say that I read this post and laughed. I know what CAMS is because I worked Lan for supply and then MSL... I hate CAMS... lol. I have thought about being a mechanic and I have thought about CE... if this all falls through I will consider them.

But as of right now... I am very qualified for EOD which is kind of CE lol. I just got my ASVAB scores back and I got General 68 and Mechanical 67. What I needed for EOD was General 64 and Mechanical 60. So I guess I get to blow things up now??? Then again I do have to get my run time down to 11:00 for 1.5 miles.

·
Registered
7,462 Posts
Sorry to hear about your bad news. I tried to join the Air Force in 1970 and was rejected because of problems with my feet and knees. Soon after that the Draft Board classified me 4F.

·
Registered
467 Posts
So... you're not out running right now?

Congrats on the favorable ASVAB results. Now go PT some more, and get the run down to a 10:30... in boots DIEVIL

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.