M14 Forum banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2,526 Posts

·
Registered
5,679 Posts
jbrooks, if you say the g/c in post # 18 came virgin from that green can in post # 19 I'll take your word for it - i.e., real deal Old Spf. Lemme add, though, that SAI had some g/c's made for a time that were/are spittin' image like what I'm seeing in your pics, right down to the valve spindle. Not that it makes a big hill of beans - not to me at least - over a gas cylinder. If it's stainless steel and made to USGI spec, I don't care who cranked it out. To paraphrase Gus, a man should have at least as many spare M14 gas PISTONS and spare M1 rifle gas locks as he has ex-wives. There's where the critical adjustments get made.

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 · (Edited)
I was hoping to hear back from Warbird and have more info. Or have Different pop in and put his knowledge on the block. I did happen to pick up another M1A today and it happens to have an early style gas cylinder as well. However this one is unmarked as far as I can tell so far. If I find any markings then I will post up.

Well I don't know how I missed the clearly marked "P" on top of the gas cylinder. Any guess on manufacturer?

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
jbrooks, if you say the g/c in post # 18 came virgin from that green can in post # 19 I'll take your word for it - ...
Thanks! DI2

I have no skin in any game and the GC is not for sale in any case. I opened the can myself, and used one of the GCs on my pre-ban SAI that I bought new in 1994. I'm using this one for a Polytech bush build. Both GCs were wrapped in brown paper.

If you look very closely at a commercial SAI GC, and lay it side by side with this, the differences will be obvious. You will note the grinding of the USGI GC is not apparent with the cast SAI. There is a Phoney "ridge" on the SAI that is made to appear like it has been ground, but under a loupe the difference is striking. The contour is all wrong.

The can is NOT green, BTW. It's more of a coal black color, but taking a non-flash pic under a flourescent light plays tricks with the color of the result.

JWB

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
I did get a response from Warbird. He basically said that they weren't all marked meaning some were. He did say that all Winchester gas cylinders are marked. He didn't elaborate more than that.

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
That's the million dollar question. I think some are marked with the DAS on the right rear side and some apparently are marked with the W over P proof mark I think between the barrel rings. That's just what I understand from trying to piece together info from different sources. I'm thinking any cylinder that was marked probably was done so before finish and that is why we don't have clear evidence on what was and wasn't marked. I wish I did and I encourage anyone to add any pics of markings you can to this thread.

·
Registered
8,804 Posts
That's the million dollar question. I think some are marked with the DAS on the right rear side and some apparently are marked with the W over P proof mark I think between the barrel rings. That's just what I understand from trying to piece together info from different sources. I'm thinking any cylinder that was marked probably was done so before finish and that is why we don't have clear evidence on what was and wasn't marked. I wish I did and I encourage anyone to add any pics of markings you can to this thread.
I answered this sometime ago, Winchester marked their gas cylinders during the forging process. This mark can be found on the side of the cylinder where the piston exits the cylinder.

RenGI2

21 - 30 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.