M14 Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Metallurgically speaking - The use of two dissimilar metals with different temperature coefficients will result in different expansion/contraction of both metals when heated or cooled. So good luck any time you use aluminum mounts or rings that are then are used against a steel receiver. Always use similar steel receivers with steel mounts, and steel rings - That is best practice.
Never go cheap when buying scopes - buy once, not twice, and buy the best you can afford.
I see that all the time, A $1500 rifle, with a $50 mount, $20 rings, and a $100 scope. You get exactly what you pay for.

The way I figure the math, is up to same price for the scope, I know it hurts, maybe you can find one for 1/2 the price of the rifle, but it would not be the best, $250 to $400 for the mount, and $200 to $300 for the rings.
I have to agree with you on a number of points. I have been in metal fabrication 45 years, so I know just a wee bit where it concerns metals compatibility. But back to the subject. After installing the mount, I was not real impressed by a couple of feature points. First being the attaching "bolts". Second, it seemed "spongy" when tightening it to the receiver. I do believe I will look for a better mount. As far as rings, I got steel ones. I also looked at what the gentleman at the LGS was showing me. Maybe I looked "financially challenged" as he was showing me low priced scopes. I told him I was interested in a Leupold scope instead, so he showed me some. I got a 3-9x40 that looks like it should do the trick. Time will tell.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.