M14 Forum banner

How's your SA Inc. rifle treated you so far?

• Runs like a swiss clock out of the box, no issues.

Votes: 160 52.3%
  • Runs great but changed some parts to make me feel better.

Votes: 59 19.3%
  • Had some small issue(s) which I addressed myself.

Votes: 31 10.1%
  • Had some small issue(s) which I had SA Inc. address.

Votes: 31 10.1%
  • Had major issues which had to be addressed by SA inc.

Votes: 19 6.2%
  • Had small or major issue(s) and returned or sold the rifle.

Votes: 7 2.3%
  • I don't have an SA Inc. rifle but wanted to vote anyway so I didn't feel left out.

Votes: 18 5.9%
1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
5,747 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Okay, first off, this is NOT a bash SA Inc. thread, anyone bashing I'll ask the mods to delete your post, period.

This is meant to be an honest to goodness SA Inc. complete rifle functionality poll. So if you have had no issues right out of the box, say so. Small issues that you've fixed yourself like extractors, sights, loose/tight gas plug or similar... Or major issues needing to be sent in for repairs/replacement such as barrel indexing, safety bridge issues, damaged/broken parts or the like. You can add a post giving the details or if you have multiple rifles and if they've run fine or had issues. This is also a multiple choice poll so mark all that apply.

Also, please include any dimensional issues regardless of how the rifle functions.

Again, no SA Inc. hate, just a vote and details.

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
I've had four SAI rifles, 1 supermatch, 2 standards and a Bush rifle, all manufactured before 2002 with USGI parts. All were flawlwess in their function. I can't comment on rifles made after that period.

·
Registered
166 Posts
No problems of any kind and I've owned SA M1A's from the
1970's until today, I now own both old (1988) and new versions
(2010) and I've never replaced one part.

1. 1988 standard model, 12,675 rounds. No problems.
2. 2009 Scout Squad, 2,489 rounds, No problems
3. 2010 standard model, 580 rounds, No problems.

I run all my rifles hard and never clean them properly.
Some go months after firing before they're cleaned.
Same with my AR-15's and pistols.

·
Registered
5,747 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I had a 2002 SA Inc. standard M1A. Extractor problems out of the box which I fixed myself. When I had a heavy barrel installed I was notified my op rod was warped which I confirmed when it came back. I bought and installed a new op rod myself. Finally when installing a scope mount I found out the mounting area was not right so I had to get a different mount than originally planned.

After getting it all put back together it ran great but I just didn't feel right about it, so I parted it out and I no longer own an SA Inc. rifle.

·
Registered
111 Posts
2009 Socom II, firing pin hangs up on safety bridge. Going back under warranty. I'm not happy, it should have NEVER left the factory in this condition. Don't get me started. DISHOUT

·
Registered
3,382 Posts
My only complaint is that it didn't come with a device that would catch the empties, . . . reload and rebox them as I shoot.

Other than that, . . . no problems. I did, however, change out the original flash hider for one with a bayonet lug.

May God bless,
Dwight

·
"Death From Above"
11,429 Posts
Aside from the rear of my bolt looking like it got hit by a mac truck, the Krieger barrel having pitting on the outside prior to getting parkerized and the hanguard band not alligning correctly there is nothing wrong with it. Save your money get a custom is my new motto!

My only question with the poll is does everyone here know what they are looking for? Mine ran like a champ I did not know it until I tore it down for an ispection after 700 rounds.

·
Registered
200 Posts
50-50 on SAI

My '02 Standard has been a GREAT rifle.....some minor issues that were traced to out of spec Syrian ammo and a good tight chamber that I will loosen over the next 10 K rounds or so

My brand new Loaded had some issues that were VERY promptly fixed by SAI and got the rifle back yesterday. A quick function test of 10 rounds in the back yard (I love living out in the country!!) showed flawless cycling, detail firing and sighting in will follow soon.GI6

I also have a mil spec 1911A1 that was incredible out of the box along with an XD-M in 9mm that is an absolute tack driver!!FRG1

·
Resident Rascal
13,508 Posts
I won't vote since I purchased a used gun. But I found out yesterday that both problems were caused by the previous owner, not Springfield. I'll bet this happens often.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Late 2007 Loaded M1A, barrel alignment and rough chamber issues, sent back to SAI with a two week turn-around. No problems since then at all. Upgraded by SAI to a NM last December. 2500 rounds through it so far. Would I buy another? Yes. Maybe I'll have another answer after I tear it down for the season after the last match in a couple weeks. We'll see what the bolt looks like.

Eagle 1

·
Registered
409 Posts
I have had to send mine back twice for warranty repair.

1st was a failure to extract. While doing some research, I found this forum and joined.

2nd. I had SAI do a SM upgrade and when the rifle was returned the feed ramp was not machined correctly and had to go back. it wouldnt feed.

I have had no issues since, but have never had it out of the bedding to inspect the bolt. Repairs were always done fast and at no cost of any kind to me.

If I was asked if I would by another SAI rifle, I would probably still say yes. I would just suggest to shoot it for a while then get it fully inspected to assure there were no issues. JMO

·
Registered
78 Posts
SAI Poll

I have both a SAI Standard M-1A and a Standard Loaded M-1A. They are both 2009 models. Neither have had any issues. Both are checked regularly for the issues that have been addressed in this forum with nothing observed other than normal wear.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Had a club loaner (kept at home by me) Standard M1A built around 83 (estimate), that was a genuine superior example of craftsmanship. All GI parts. Fit and function were perfect. Used it in highpower comp in 84, 85.

Currently own a Standard M1A built around 96 (estimate). GI Parts, shoots very well. Safe queen.

Owned a Standard M1A built in 04 that functioned fine all around. A good rifle. Sold it.

Owned a NM M1A, Im thinking was built in 06. It was a rats-nest of problems, particularly extraction. Fit and function was horrid for the money. My Standard's shoot/shot and functioned better. Sold it with the quickness about a year and a half ago during the height of Obama gun grab fears, and took no financial loss. Took some serious point losses with it, however. Plain and simple, I could out-shoot the rifle and I have no interest in rifles I can out-shoot.

Currently own a SuperMatch built in 08. A very accurate rifle, but the fit and function are not stellar. The piston and op rod do not line up and the timing is a little out, thus had to add some big wind on the front sight. Overall the rifle shoots really well and placed 51st (or 47th depending on how you look at the scores - just missed a medal) in the 09 NRA/Springfield M1A Match at Perry with it. For the most part, its a .75 MOA rifle.

Also currently own 2 Fultons with some GI parts. Great rifles. Different topic.

Just paid for an LRB M25 reciever and am going to have LRB build this one up. Different topic.

If I were to ever buy another M1A (although unlikely), it would be a Standard, and "I" would do all necessary match conditioning work, personally. I don't believe the folks at Springfield have the skills (or maybe the time) to do professional match conditioning work on their rifles. Maybe Springfield has spread itself too thin with all of it models. Personally I think they have too many. They should at most, focus on 3. A Standard Model, a full custom Super Match Model, and their short barrel model, the SOCOM.

To me the "Loaded", the "NM", etc is marketing nonsense and probably keeps them spread to thin when it comes to quality...

·
Registered
5,747 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Excellent info so far guys, hopefully we can keep this going for a long time to come. This way people on the market for a new or used rifle can review it and get a better perception of SA Inc. rifles. I may start one for for other MFR's...

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
Got mine this year, born 04/2010. 22" standard no issues.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
I only have (1) SA STD and I did replace the piston and spring guide with one's from Sadlak and this was not due to functioning issues, I put a Sadlak mount on to without issue, the rifle has ran 100% with all ammo. I purchased this NIB back in 07' #202###, I have no idea on USGI part content but my guess is not to many due to it being so new

·
Registered
335 Posts
March 04 manufacture M1A M21 bought new. Now has somewhere between 500 and a 1000 rounds through it. I have had the following issues:

- Front sight canted to the right - moved front sight to the left to zero rear sight and living with it.
- Out of the box trigger pull of 7.5 lb vs 4.5 lb as specified - fixed myself.
- Trigger group bedding job botched. Group wouldn't fully seat into receiver. Caused loose magazines, trigger pull problems and was almost impossible to re-latch without use of a loop of rope and foot. I didn't know any better. I thought they were supposed to be that way at first. Fixed myself.
- Gas Piston with unbored tail. Very promptly replaced by SAI under warranty.
- Flash suppressor bored way off center. Very promptly replaced by SAI under warranty.
-Very rough chamber. Looked like finish reamer used was dull or had a chip in it . Caused thrown extractor and really ugly brass (fire formed rings, lines and pits in ejected shells). Fixed myself.
- Gas cylinder lock was way, way too loose. Fixed myself with 0.020" of shims. Flipping the lock was only worse.
- Factory ejector spring/plunger assembly was 0.25" too short. Caused ejection problems with scope mount. Fixed myself.
- The latest potential problem found was rear of bolt getting peened and has bad burrs on it. So far safety bridge and hammer OK though. Hopefully it doesn't get any worse.

After all of this I still really like the rifle, enjoy shooting it and will never sell it. Except for the short lived extraction issue it has been 100% reliable. However, if I ever buy an SAI product again its getting stripped at the dealer and fully inspected before I plunk down any cash. Its a good thing SAI has a no hassle lifetime warranty on their products. If they didn't they would go out of business with the stuff they let through. With the current product liability environment in the USA I can't believe their lawyers aren't freaking out and trying to get them to improve their product quality.

As an aside I must say that without what I learned on this forum I would have never even known or discovered that my rifle had some these issues or how to fix or live with them. I would bet that a lot of people with new M1A would never even notice or know about most of the problems their rifles have. They probably think they "all do that" or are "all built that way" - ever heard those lines before?. Maybe that is why some assume there are so many satisfied customers or maybe people just fix things themselves and suffer in silence but never buy an SAI product again.

IMHO if you are paying $1500 to $5000 for a rifle, or anything for that matter, it should be built right and function perfectly out of the box.

My 2 cents.

1 - 20 of 79 Posts