M14 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to clean my rifles and never got to the M1A EBR. Picked her up to put her back in the safe and I heard “ting ting” on the tile. Found one leg of the hammer sear laying on the floor.

Should I replace it with a USGI from Fulton armory? Are all USGI hammers forged to include the SAs? And what would have caused it to just break off? I don’t run and gun rattling off rounds, I just bench shoot for marksmanship. Not gonna lie, I’m a little disappointed.

Attachments

Reactions: Tommo

·
Premium Member
15,937 Posts
That is a hammer hook not a sear just fyi. The sear would be attached to the trigger/sear.
Either cast or mim. USGI replacement is certainly in order.
M1 or M14 hammer will take care of the situation, they are the same item.

·
Retired
4,670 Posts
SA Inc. ran out of high quality USGI forged parts quite some time ago. Most of their newly made parts are "good enough" but common parts failure is their rather poor quality extractors and I have heard of their hammer hooks breaking on occasion.
As nf1e said, get a USGI hammer for the M1 or M14 as they are interchangeable.

Reactions: Tommo and russmerle

·
Registered
11,072 Posts
The M1/M14 hammer is a fallible part. It is the single most used part on the rifle, when you factor in clearing, dry firing and function checks. Replacements were packaged 20 to a box.

Besides wear, they usually fail because of uneven pressure on the hooks. That is just the design of the production parts that make up the trigger assembly.

The good news is that Mr. Garand was aware of this and put two hooks on the hammer. A service rifle will still function until you can get to an armorer and replace it.

As stated above. The best option is a forged USGI hammer. The best prevention is to have someone who knows what they are doing even out the contact on the hooks.

I don't mind commercial oprods and trigger housing, but I insist on USGI hammers and triggers.

·
Registered
428 Posts
As a long-time reader of this forum, I was aware of the SA hammer problem some years back. I replaced it with a GI hammer; the swap is fairly easy. My old SA hammer is in storage, as an emergency backup.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks!

Thanks everyone. Always a wealth of knowledge and always helpful on this site. I’ll go ahead and purchase one and still see what Springfield says. I can probably get the part from someone here or Fulton a bit faster than Springfield anyway.

I have both used and unissued USGI Garand hammers that interchange with the M1A that I would sell. PM me if interested
Orlando, I’ll send you a pm shortly. Thank you.

·
Premium Member
15,937 Posts
keepshooting.com shows having those import M14 trigger groups in stock again, anybody know where they come from?

https://www.keepshooting.com/m14-trigger-group-complete.html

Casey
If they are the same ones they had a few years ago, they were supposed to be SAI. At one time I picked up a half dozen and had to change out the hammer and trigger/sear in all of them. They were mim parts and the hammer hooks didn't have enough material to make them real hooks. No bargain at the time for 129. when you had to add another 75 or so just to make them work.

·
Registered
79 IHC Scout II, 74 VW Bug class 11 look a like
6,733 Posts
I would just get a good M1 Garand hammer for it and get another for a spare, and I would put a M1 Garand trigger in it too, there still relativity cheap.

Casey

·
Registered
79 IHC Scout II, 74 VW Bug class 11 look a like
6,733 Posts
Orlando, One our members sometimes has M1 triggers and may have hammers too, you don't need M14 parts unless you plan to go full auto.
You may want to replace the extractor with a USGI or Beretta M14/M1 part too, new Springfield extractors are known to fail.

https://m14forum.com/search.php?searchid=6911738

Casey

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I went through Orlando like suggested and the transaction went smooth and the hammer is great. Highly recommend.

Russ

Great information. I’m going to buy a usgi hammer and replace my hammer on my SAI M1A ‘Loaded’.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts