M14 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Question....

Ok, I have a JAE-100G2 stock with all the bells and whistles heading my way in the next week for my SA M1A standard with Harris Bi-Pod. I'm purchasing a good optic for it when I'm home on leave as well (thinking Trijicon TR22-2). I'm looking for the best way to mount an optic to the rifle. I already have the Sadlak Industries Airborne Scope Mount. What I really want is a Springfield Armory Extended Cluster Rail. I did my research and found out that you have to send your rifle in to have it factory installed. Does anyone know how much one of these extended cluster rails cost? And how long is turn around once you send them the rifle?

I emailed SA and havn't heard back yet.

And once I do get it, I'll just sell my Sadlak Airborne mount, along with the SEI mount I have as well.

Go ARMY1

·
Registered
413 Posts
Nice! Wish I still had that combat/deployment pay coming in. Sounds like you are going to have a nice set up. Sorry I can't answer any of your questions. Im kind of interested in the same thing. (rail) So hopefully we'll get the info.

Parashooter
ARMY1JMPWNG2CIB3

·
Rest in Peace
794 Posts
Unless you need the long rail for night vision mounted ahead of your scope, the Sadlak is the best mount.

I've had a dozen extended cluster rails on factory guns, and then all slightly angle to the left and right.

The Ultimak rail is very good, but I think if you shot ALOT the barrel mounted rails transfer heat to your optic..

·
Registered
79 Posts
extended cluster rail

When I contacted SAI in September 2010 it would cost $544 and 2-4 week turn around. Not to mention the cost of shipping and insurance. You might as well buy a new rifle with the extended rail for that price......then your rifles can keep each other company. GI6 good luck and thanks for your service

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
hahah, thanks everyone for the responses!

I see what your saying with just buy another rifle....but at this point with the money I have sunk into this one....I just rather make kinda of my "ultimate" M1A. I have the sadlak mounted on there now, but if I could...I would probably get the extended rail cluster. I could recoup some of the cost by selling the Airborne mount and the SEI mount.

The other option is trying to find a KAC rail system for the M1A. I found one on here for sale back in Dec and PM'd the guy but never heard back, only thing is that I hear that the stripper clip guide rail thing from KAC doesnt always fit properly (or align correctly height wise).

I just want to build the BEST M1A i can, before my funds dance2 if you know what I mean....

·
Registered
25 Posts
I put a troy battle rail on mine.I found it new on the net for $280.
I like the 3 point mounting system. I like the single plane for irons or optics, You have to use after market sights but head position is better in that you can use irons and optic with the same comb hight.

JD

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i was look at buying the troy battle rail, but I don't really like how high it sits, and the fact that you must remove the origional Iron sights to mount it.

·
Registered
25 Posts
i was look at buying the troy battle rail, but I don't really like how high it sits, and the fact that you must remove the origional Iron sights to mount it.
Those are good things,I think Its strongest mounting system out there,and I like the front band set up. There are many after market sights avaible that are better than factory. With proper comb hight and stock fit, your irons will co-witness your aimpoint or eo tec, and with proper scope mounts you will be able to shoot using a scope with out changing comb hight or head position.

You will be able to mount a scope with out costly m14 type mounts and not have any set up problems. The differance of the cost between rings and a m14 type mount will help offset the cost of after market sights.

The only disadvantage is you can't use the stripper clip guide,
and it will cost a little more.
JD

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Those are good things,I think Its strongest mounting system out there,and I like the front band set up. There are many after market sights avaible that are better than factory. With proper comb hight and stock fit, your irons will co-witness your aimpoint or eo tec, and with proper scope mounts you will be able to shoot using a scope with out changing comb hight or head position.

You will be able to mount a scope with out costly m14 type mounts and not have any set up problems. The differance of the cost between rings and a m14 type mount will help offset the cost of after market sights.

The only disadvantage is you can't use the stripper clip guide,
and it will cost a little more.
JD
Well, I already have a Sadlak Airborne mount on there now, sooooooo the cost thing doesn't really affect me in that situation.

With this M1A I wont be putting an EOTECH/ACOG on it, that is what my STAG-15 is for. This is for longer range shooting.

·
Rest in Peace
794 Posts
THis is the non Springfield Vltor extended rail...

This is the prototype on My JAE standard

It ties into the stripper clip guide, still allows iron sighting (sort of) and has mounting holes for side rails but didn't come with any --

·
Registered
25 Posts
Well, I already have a Sadlak Airborne mount on there now, sooooooo the cost thing doesn't really affect me in that situation.

With this M1A I wont be putting an EOTECH/ACOG on it, that is what my STAG-15 is for. This is for longer range shooting.

Then why the rail. You can't mount anything forward of the scope. You can add bottom rail for bipod or light
and save a bunch of money.

JD

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Because its the way most of the optics are mounted on the combat rifles we use here (M14 EBRs), and it seems just a bit more solid than the typical side mount.

Don't get me wrong, I love my Sadlak Airborne mount, and if this doesn't work or ends up being to expensive, I'm keeping that on in place.

Plus, its different than every other M1A out there ya know?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well, heard back from springfield Armory, 544$ for part and instalation.

So thats a no go.

But...I found a KAC rail system, and im buying that instead. Should be about 150$ cheaper, and I can install it myself. If everything works well with it, I can sell my Sadlak Airborne Mount, and my SEI mount and offset the price even more.FRG1

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
well I figure this one out. Bought the KAC RAS front hand guard piece off of a member here, and then emailed KAC about the piece that mounts to where the stripper clip guide goes, and the person I spoke with mailed me one for FREE since I'm deployed. That really made my day, couldn't thank him enough.

So in two weeks time my M1A will have this on it:

SA M1A Standard
JAE-100G2 Stock (Coyote Tan)
KAC RAS
Harris Bipod
Vortex Viper Scope
Recoil Buffer

Now just have to find the proper rings, and shoot it a bunch for the 2 weeks that I'm home!GITEN

·
Rest in Peace
794 Posts
well I figure this one out. Bought the KAC RAS front hand guard piece off of a member here, and then emailed KAC about the piece that mounts to where the stripper clip guide goes, and the person I spoke with mailed me one for FREE since I'm deployed. That really made my day, couldn't thank him enough.

So in two weeks time my M1A will have this on it:

SA M1A Standard
JAE-100G2 Stock (Coyote Tan)
KAC RAS
Harris Bipod
Vortex Viper Scope
Recoil Buffer

Now just have to find the proper rings, and shoot it a bunch for the 2 weeks that I'm home!GITEN
Thanks for your service and use that gun to do good work!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts