M14 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
for the tl;dr folks...
cliffs notes: i got a sa 4th gen steel scope mount, it didn't work, now I'm sad.

Well I got a 4th gen steel scope mount from springfield a couple weeks ago. I figured I'd give my review of it. The setup was a 3-9x Burris Fullfield II on Burris XTR 1" low rings, on my springfield m1a scout.

Installing the mount on the rifle wasn't too difficult and the mount seems fairly well made and solid. It came in a nice hard plastic case with some foam inside, and included the necessary hex wrenches to tighten down the set screws as well as the dovetail insert and decent install instructions.

That's about where the good ends.

On the inside of the mount that mates with the reciever there is no material to fit into the slot at the bottom of the receiver, it is perfectly flat. It does appear that there once was a key on the mount that would fit the slot but it was milled off, as you can see the markings. That seemed odd to me but I figured I have the mount here I may as well try it out.

The mount attaches to the reciever with a cam and bolt on the side, and with a dovetail insert that goes into the stripper clip guide. There is also a post at the front that you lower down to the top of the reciever and a set screw to hold that post in place.

Upon mounting it I found the mount was canted, visibly pointing to the left. I had a 2.5 foot long piece of straight steel rod that sat nicely on the mount and when I ran it along the mount up to the front sight the front of the steel rod was between 1/16" to 1/8" to the left on the center post on the front sight.

I also tossed one of those cheap lasers that you put down the barrel to see how that looked, not expecting prefect accuracy but just to judge it. Just across the room, maybe 20 feet or so, the laser was 3" low and right from center point.

I did take it all apart and try to remount everything thinking maybe I F'd it up. At this point I noticed when I tighten down the set screw to hold the dovetail in place the mount canted to the left more as I tightened it. It was pretty close to perfectly straight when that wasn't tightened down.

Well got it all back together and the results looked about the same so I wasn't expecting much but took it out to the range.

I decided to start by shooting on the 50 yard line to see if I was even on paper. The entire time I shoot 60 rounds of Hornady 168g ammo which I already knew my rifle shoots fairly well when I have a burris 2.75x scount scope up on the scout mount.

As expected I was way way low and right, probably 9-10" both ways. After about 20 or 30 rounds I was able to get my elevation dialed in but was still a few inches right. I took a break to change targets, smoke a cigarette, and let the gun cool down a little.

Before shooting my 2nd string I clicked out my windage a few more times and fire 2 perfect shots and was starting to get really pleased. Then my next 4 rounds were all 6" low and a little right again. I'm not a great shot btw and my eyesight is terrible, so I thought maybe it was just me but I dialed up my elevation knob some more and started bring the bullets up over the next 10 or so rounds.

Thats when i ran out of elevation adjustment and still was shooting a bit low and right. After doing some investigating I noticed the front post on the mount that touches the top of the reciever now has a 1/8" gap or so. It was no longer touching the reciever. Apparently the mount tilted up.

It wasn't lose or wobbly, it just seemed to move up a bit. I didn't have a torque wrench or tools with me but the bolt is only supposed to be tighted to 2.5lbs, so I'm guessing it losened a bit.

I'm definatly a bit of a noob to this stuff. it's entirely possible i did something, or many things wrong. but it's not exactly rocket science so I'm not sure. I am probably just going to pull it off the rifle and see about sending it back to springfield and putting the scout scope back on. 2.75x magnification wasn't really enough for my bad eyes but atleast it worked.

·
Registered
744 Posts
I just installed a third gen Springfield mount for a friend. And on that one there is a outer screw with lock nut that the screw to the clip guide goes through. That outer screw is screwed in till it touches the clip guide and locked down. That kept the mount from canting. Was there no such arrangement on the gen 4?

·
Registered
5,747 Posts
I just installed a third gen Springfield mount for a friend. And on that one there is a outer screw with lock nut that the screw to the clip guide goes through. That outer screw is screwed in till it touches the clip guide and locked down. That kept the mount from canting. Was there no such arrangement on the gen 4?
Not on the steel Gen 4's, they're like the Sadlak/SEI/Brookfield mounts. The aluminum Gen 4's are like the Gen 3 mount setup.

Very good writeup but sad to see it go this way. I thought SA Inc. finally came out with a good quality mount but then they take off one of the most important features and ruin it. When you return it be sure to tell them that by removing the horizontal key they fubar'd the whole thing and that they should put it back.

Also, the torque value seems really low. I'd go with 65 in-lbs personally. That's about 5.5 ft-lbs, but that's only if they made the mount correctly.

·
Registered
813 Posts
I have a few friends who are fine with thier 3rd gen mounts. Heavy scopes too. I know they hit the bullseye at the range, beyond that no experience personally.
What I've read here about 4 seems like a step backwards for SA, in light of all the quality mounts out there, unless I'm missing something.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks for the replies. sorry the range report wasn't better and for all the typos, i wrote it late after the green bay game.

i took the mount off today and put my burris 2.75x scout scope back on the forward rail and i think i'm going to stop messing with this gun and leave it as it is.

hopefully springfield won't give me a hard time about returning this mount. i've only had it a few weeks.

·
Registered
284 Posts
ok, Here is what you need to do.

take the rifle out of the stock.

lay the mount on the side of the reciever so you can see where the flat part of the mount should lay flat on the side of the reciever.

finger tighten the side came bolt.

Then get the stripper clip guide set screw started into the stripper clip guide key. dont tighten it all the way down yet.

Now turn the cam to put tension on the cam bolt. then tighten the cam bolt past finger tight about 1/8-1/2 a turn.

now the front tension screw should be turned down to just make contact with the top of the reciever. If you tighten the front tension screw down too far it will start lifting the mount and tweaking it.

From your description it sounds like you are not tightening the cam bolt before you tighten the stripper clip guide set screw.

The side of the mount needs to be held in place first by the cam bolt. then your stripper clip key needs to be centered below the hole in the mount. then tighten the rest of the way with the cam bolt then add some tension wtih the crown screw.

The Springfield 4th gen mount mounts in the same way as the SMith, sadlak and other mounts based off of the Brookfield design. It is a good design.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Another thing. As you begin tightening everything up you need to watch the angled faces on the mount and the reciever where the stripper clip guide goes. You want these to match up as close as possible before tightening everything down. Get it started with the cam bolt and the key with the front tension screw not touching the reciever. Then once things are aligned finish tightening the cam bolt then tighten down the stripper clip guide. Last step put slight tension on the front of the reciever.

The only way you end up with a 1/8" gap under the mount is that the mount moved back during recoil. Indicating you didnt have it against the angled face to start with.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I bought the springfield armory 4th generation steel M1A scope mount without research, because I could always sell it and get something different. I mounted it without reading the directions, and put 50 rounds down range. But, after a half a dozen shots, I can't hit the 50 yard target, so I hunker down and use the iron sights, and the first shot is .25 inch off dead center. So I use the iron sights to get on target, and then just dial in the scope. A great feature of the SAI see through mount and the Warn quick release scope rings.

Here is a good Shooting Times Gen4 steel review.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I just put a gen 4 on my national match today. I had that issue and was about to feak out! I took it off and played with it, paying vary close attention to the instruction something like "hold it in place and be sure not to let it move". I thought it odd to be worded the way it was worded so i tried to line it up so it looked straight. I did finely and put it together making sure also the cam is at "or near 12 o'clock". It looks nice and straight and I can clearly use the iron sights under it. Feels strong like it could be carried. Also be sure to not to tighten the front post over 1/8 turn past contact (it can candid to the left).

Also before you get Discouraged, make sure the dove tail is in the slot.

·
Registered
3,717 Posts
Well, I had exactly the same problem as the OP. I was hoping the steel SAI would be fine.

I worked with it several times with the same canting issue.

I'll try once again given the responses here. RNGR1

JWB

1 - 12 of 12 Posts