M14 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up this hammered S&W Mod 10-7 this week. It had been cold blued at some point by dipping the whole gun. The insides were pretty well rusted, but cleaned up well. Finish was toast, but she was tight as a drum.

Yesterday was my first day off in a while and I decided to refinish her.

Here she is "before".

Here she is during the stripping and rust removal.

Here she is post aluminum oxide blasting and pre-painting.

And here she is "after". The "splotchiness" is Fluid Film lube.

I hate the serrated triggers on S&Ws so always remove the serrations, reshape the trigger for DA firing and polish.

Before.

And after.

The finished product looks like WW2 Khaki mixed with Olive.

I used Brownells Gun Kote bake on in Matte Dark Earth. I think the color has been discontinued, but I had a full can left in the paint box.

So, what do you think? I've done many rifles, pistols and shotguns with Gun Kote, but this is my first revolver.

·
Registered
3,830 Posts
I think it looks great! I think what you did with the revolver was a good idea, given that it was in such poor shape before. Now it has a more rugged finish and should be ready for many more years of hard use!GI2

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
I just recently got a nice Smith 10-5 and it's a fine shooter. I think you did a fine job turning what was a boat anchor into a good shooter!

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, guys.

I make it a point to sit on the couch and cycle it about 500 times a day. It has smoothened up nicely. I'll break it back down and do the trigger job this week, and well as double check the cylinder gap.

I'm looking forward to seeing how she shoots.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
And I'm with you on removing the trigger serrations... I have a model 60 that will just about cut your finger off, the grooves are so sharp...

·
Registered
2,935 Posts
Great job! Of course it helps that you had a great classic revolver to work with. A Model 10 and that finish will be a hard working gun for lots of years.

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
Very nice! I hear ya on the triggers. I always remove the serrations and round the trigger on all my S&W's.

·
Registered
6,577 Posts
looks good. all business

·
Registered
79 IHC Scout II, 74 VW Bug class 11 look a like
7,056 Posts
I'm looking for a tight model 10 or 19 for a build, I have a 6" heavy barrel [1" dia] and a Aristocrat rib I want to use. I need to find a full under lug for it as well, it getting hard to find parts like that any more I may cut one on the water jet machine I ran at the place I used to work at.[they still let me play with it]

Casey

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Here's my Model 10. Little work done to it thoughGI2

But I do need a new ejector rod thingy-mo-jig. The one I have on it is too short. Anybody know where I can get one?

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Greetings,

Nice job! How well does the Gun Coat finish hold up over time and use? I've been thinking of using it for a project so I'm curious about that.

Regards, Jim

1 - 13 of 13 Posts