M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I never been a revolver kinda guy but i figured i should probably add one to my collection, even tho 1911s are more my style. Because i am a big fan of 10mm and own nothing else 357, i sorta did an impulse buy and got a Smith & Wesson 610 6" barrel 10mm. Im still happy about it but i also am kinda having some buyers remorse so a few questions resolve that. i havent even shot it yet and i wanna change some things

Air gun Trigger Revolver Gun barrel Gas

these moonclips are VERY tight. i cant even get rounds out of it by hand without risking bending them. is it a bad idea to file these clips abit in order to make them snap on and off easier? are there better clips to use thats easier to load/unload?

are the moonclips even needed on 10mm ammo? on .40 ammo i see them defiantly needed. chamber is recessed so 10mm is held into the chamber fine. but then the star extractor cant extract them. seems almost easier to carry a rod to push out the casing than to carry a tool in order to load/unload the clips. you might tell im really not a fan of moonclips already

Rim Automotive design Automotive tire Auto part Circle

i do not have small hands but i also dont have large hands either. the grip on this thing seems overly large and thick. are there some recommendations on some decent thinner grips? i shoot both handed. dont really have preference on material tho im not the bigest fan of wood, but i would consider it. I imagine metal woud be thinner but might hurt after some shooting while rubber might help with the recoil but be thickest. not sure about plastic or what else is available. its an N-frame gun

the single action trigger feels good but the double action trigger feels wayyyyy too strong. while practicing my trigger pull i almost had to jerk the trigger and there is no way i can aim it accuratly using it double action. is there a way to reduce the trigger pull weight to something more reasonable?

i would like to put a front sight blade on it that has a white dot if possible since the rear already has 2 dots.

otherwise the gun itself feels veyr well built and should be fun to shoot. maybe this wekeend ill get to put a few rounds down range. but jsut playing with it these are the things i know i want to address

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
I made a moon clip tool out of a old yard sale golf club. Cut it off a couple inches from the grip but leave a ear about 1/3 of the diameter around to be able to lever them out (it doesn't take much). The grip will hold one or two clips worth of spent shells

These are the grips on my Performance Center 627 they are EXTREMELY COMFORTABLE

Miculek grips

·
Registered
405 Posts
I agree with the "very cool" comment. As for buyer's regret. The only regret I have in retrospect about buying too big, too powerful, kinda esoteric firearms, is selling them.

Relax, enjoy that beauty.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ill defiantly buy the tool for the clips, i didnt know they existed. im still thinking about modifying them some to make them less tight, i would prefer to not need a tool to load and unload something. ill buy some spare clips and see if i can make them abit easier. i still would prefer not to use a clip at all

i probably should have bought the 4" barrel but i figuered i would like the 6" would be better. the thing is pretty heavy tho i know it will help with recoil. holding it for even a few minutes and you really feel it.

i was looking at lighter springs for it to help with the DA pull, but alot of people say it really ruins reliability as light strikes then become a problem. they say that stoning a few parts or doing alot fo dryfiring helpswear it in. but i still am thinknig about doing a lighter spring

·
Registered
13,102 Posts
You can use the cartridges without the clips. The chambers are cut with the proper headspace. You can usually remove the fired cases with your fingers, but you may have to push them out with a pencil.

I believe the S&W Performance Center still offers a "Duty" tuning that still provides 100% reliability.

·
Registered
714 Posts
I have a 1990 made 5” 610. It does have large grips, but I have large hands. The recoil isn’t very noticeable with the heavy N frame

Mine has a superb double action, one of the best of all the S&W revolvers I own

The original S&W moonclips are not very tight and easy to snap in and out. However they are hard to find here, so a buddy gave me a dozen home made ones (laser cut). They are tighter so I bought the tool.

I generally go to the range with a dozen clips already loaded and then bring them home empty.

·
Registered
34 Posts
You will need the demooning tool as to not damage the clips. You can shoot the 10mm out of them without the clips but will need the clips for the 40.

Pull the side plate off and polish the internals. You will be horrified on the MIM parts. Lots of tool marks and such. The firing pin is too short and accounts for light strikes. I use a TK customs in mine and a wolf spring.

The front sight is quick release. Pull it towards you and lift out. I opted for a fiber optic to get better lighting when hunting.

I also ditched the lock and bought a plug for it.

I also have remorse over this gun. It is super accurate and will shoot one ragged hole. But its no S&W from the pre 1980s. The quality and fit/finish isn’t there.
Revolver Trigger Air gun Finger Gun barrel

·
Registered
95 Posts
There are two types of moon clips, the easy to load and unload which bend very easy or the hard to load and unload which don't bend very easy.

Reactions: KurtC

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
I also have remorse over this gun. It is super accurate and will shoot one ragged hole. But its no S&W from the pre 1980s. The quality and fit/finish isn’t there.
Nothing is as it was. There are tons of tuning parts and videos to make the modern versions as good as the old ones. If I had already bought the gun, I would just bring it up to my standards of what's acceptable.

I owned several mini-14's I only bought to help some people out. Didn't like them, didn't want them. They sat in the back of my safe. Somebody on here started asking questions about "fixing" their shortcomings. It got me curious so I pulled them out and replaced some parts as well as proper trigger tuning. Now they're fun accurate guns that don't throw brass 100 yards away.

Spend some time on your 10mm's. You may loose that buyers remorse

Reactions: dogear

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
just for the fun of it i took the side plate and disassembled most of it just to see. i didnt have anything to clean or polish it, this was just a look-see. didnt look too terrible but could use some improvement. in the mean time i been dryfiring it trying to wear it in

i compared the depth the cartridges sit in the chamber with and without the moonring. the ring does hold them slightly further back, at least with Magtech ammo. so i think i will probably order a longer firing pin just to help prevent light strikes when not using the rings.

i loosened the mainspring setscrew jsut to feel what it would be like with a weaker spring and it defiantly helped. i think i will order one and a rebound spring. if it doesnt seem reliable then i will jsut put the original back in. with a longer firing pin i think it should work fine

1 - 20 of 28 Posts