M14 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
S.A. M21, Sadlak Titanium, and NF NXS 5.5 - 22 x56, which rings?**Updated w/Pics**

I got my new SA M21 last Christmas, a Sadlak titanium mount for my birthday and am ordering a Nightforce 5.5-22x56 this year for Christmas. This is my dream rig and I want to dress her up nice. I was wondering what ring size to get, I've done a lot of searching and I think the Badger Medium high rings are a safe bet. Anyone have any experience with this set-up that could recommend the proper ring height, maybe mediums? I'm also open to different ring manufacturers but it seems like just about everyone likes badgers.

Thanks
Frank

·
"Death From Above"
11,642 Posts
Frank i went with the 30m high rings on my M21 with the gen III SAI mount and the Leupold 8.5x25x50. I think they are a bit to highs so mediums may be in order. Member noexpert put to gether a ring height calculator on a spreadsheet. He may chime in. I have since removed the scope and installed it on my target/varmany AR.

I recently build a LRB M25 action installed in the mcmillan M3A adj stock. It is very similar to the M21 stock. I too was goign to get the same exact scope as you. I recently had a conversation with a gent at night force and I asked if they had any future plans to do that scope in a front focal plane. Guess what? The answer was yes! I was told they were in the development or R&D stage and they hope to have it for the shot show in January. I personally am holding out for the new FFP model, food for thought.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Nightforce makes rings too. I have a Nightforce 5.5-22x56 mounted to a Sako TRG-42 in 338 Lapua and its a nice rig. As far as size, since you have the adjustable cheek, its probably more of an issue of what you like, as long at you keep the objective bell off the handguard. I dont know where your mount puts you so cant answer that, but Nightforce rings are quality made...

Badgers are a safe bet as well....

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That will be nice, but I bet about $2900.

Frank i went with the 30m high rings on my M21 with the gen III SAI mount and the Leupold 8.5x25x50. I think they are a bit to highs so mediums may be in order. Member noexpert put to gether a ring height calculator on a spreadsheet. He may chime in. I have since removed the scope and installed it on my target/varmany AR.

I recently build a LRB M25 action installed in the mcmillan M3A adj stock. It is very similar to the M21 stock. I too was goign to get the same exact scope as you. I recently had a conversation with a gent at night force and I asked if they had any future plans to do that scope in a front focal plane. Guess what? The answer was yes! I was told they were in the development or R&D stage and they hope to have it for the shot show in January. I personally am holding out for the new FFP model, food for thought.

·
Registered
5,747 Posts
Awww, no pic in the bathroom with the gold sink? GI7

If you don't mind taking some measurements I'll send you a spreadsheet you can use to calculate the ring height. Just PM me your e-mail address. It's really easy to use.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank You, I'll do that, I've been looking for your calculator but couldn't find it.

I took some measurements this evening, I put a level on the base, the rear hooded sight is 2mm lower than the base so the sight won't be an issue.

I have 14 mm between the top of the base and top of the handguard. I think the objective end has a 32.5mm radius so if I use 1" rings I should have about 7mm between the scope and the handguard and 5mm between the eyepiece and the iron sight.

It's brass.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank You, a big help.
Got it and it confirms my math, I saved it this time.

That is a custom Mauser about 25 YO that I just reconditioned last year. Looked like this before:

·
Registered
558 Posts
A bathroom rifle. Hmmm, I need one of those....
What do you use to keep the scope glass from fogging...?MCORPS1

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Couldn't wait, I just ordered the NXS 5.5-22x-56 with the NP-R1 reticle, also ordered the Nightforce rings.

I'll set her up and get some pics in the bath soon!!!!GI6

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Got the scope yesterday, mounted it this morning, too late & too cold to take it to the range today. I spent hours, hours and more hours making sure the base was true with the receiver/barrel and it paid off. The irons & crosshairs are dead on at 100 yards, (sighting out my window) it should dial in easily.

SAI M21 Krieger SS barrel, Sadlak Titanium mount, Nightforce rings & Nightforce NXS 5.5-22X56 scope.

Sorry for the crappy pics.

And a pic for NoExpert GI6

1 - 13 of 13 Posts