M14 Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Banned
3,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Chilley's post concerning a rusty piston is a common problem. Anytime the rifle is stored for a non shooting period rust can become a problem in the Gas System, including the Piston.

There is a choice to make if you store the rifle after shooting without servicing the Gas system. I have found with my rifles the best method is to mix Kroil oil and Hoppes and put a few drops into the system. work the piston back and forth to spread the mixture and the possibility," a big Maybe". expect to have a few off point of aim shoots at the next outing. I know it is not popular to have a wet system but it is not dangerous or harmful to the rifle. So, it becomes a trade off, a few extra rounds or clean the system.

Let me remind you, years ago, adding Hoppes to the system was standard parctice, may times shooters came to me with slow pistons during Matches and the above is how it was addressed, I have no recall of it affecting the scores. art

·
Registered
5,679 Posts
Yeah, the M1's and M1A's always got a little shot of Hoppe's into the gas cyl, rifles went back into the safe muzzle down. The idea was to prevent rust getting started. Obviously, as Chilly's pics show us, "stainless" steel surfaces aren't immune to rust.

·
Registered
393 Posts
ONE DROP of Hoppes' in the gas cylinder (on top of the piston before tightning the gas cylinder plug) with every cleaning was what we were taught in boot camp (1966) for maintaining and cleaning the gas cylinder / piston in the M14. I do this today with both my M1's and with my M1A. So far, no problems.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts