M14 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
**See my posts under RustyClips-How To Clean to bring you up to date**

I manage a private range in the mountains and we got a shipment of rusty clips from CMP...we ran out of good ones and had to resort to refinishing the bad ones ...and we still need more for the club members... they are a hungry lot!!

Anyway, since CMP is sold out, we came up with the idea that if dealing with your rusty clips was going to be too much trouble for you, if you make a donation to the range of your rusty ones, we will strip, sandblast, and reparkerize them all and send you back some of the best ones out of your lot... all refinished and purdy!

I asked you guys what you thought of the idea... So after receiving all of your e-mail responses last week ...this is what we came up with...

We should have plenty of clips coming in for our needs from your donations, so if you want to send us your rusty or vinegar stripped clips, we will strip, media blast, and reparkerize them, and we'll be able to send about half of the best ones back to you after we discard the un-usable ones. So here is the deal:

Donate two salvagable rusty clips to the range and get one refinished one back.

There are only two requirements for this deal...

#1-You pay the shipping back.. probably about $5.00/100, (remember we are non-profit and exist on donations)...and...

#2-This is a one time deal and we have to receive your clips within the next two weeks or so.

To answer some of the questions you asked in your e-mails:

If you have some clips with special manufacturers stamps that you want to keep for your collection, when you send them just separate the special ones you want for your collection in a baggie with any notes and your Name, Address, and Phone# IN THE BAGGIE, and we'll keep em aside for you. Otherwise, I figured I would hand select what I thought were the best overall and send those ones back to you.

If you have a few borderline ones in your collection that you want to keep, and that you want refinished too, send them in and I will throw them in with your batch, just donate on a 1 for 1 basis.

Don't send what you think are real collectors items, though, unless the finish is really bad...because refinishing does change the appearance somewhat.

All the clips will be kept separate...the ones you get back will be out of the ones you sent in.

I am hoping turn around time is a couple of weeks, it depends on how many clips and how many volunteers can make it, but we are going to do this all on one weekend in April. A "Parkerizing Party" if you will!!

We will send them back to you in the same box, unless there is only a few you want back.

Any more questions let me know.

Contact me at my e-mail below to reserve your spot, for shipping instructions, and for any questions you might have.

Here are some pics I posted of the process:

http://www.angelfire.com/ak5/jeffstpaul

Jeff
[email protected]

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hey guys...

I would like to get some idea by this weekend who will be sending clips, as I am going to have to make a decision by then as to whether or not to keep the offer open for another week.

We are getting a lot of clips coming in. Some group members are sending full boxes... and some are sending just a few. Either way is ok... but each one we receive adds to our work load, so our work load is growing.

It is not just a simple "dipping and stripping" !!! Figure that the bead blasting takes a few minutes per clip at a minimum, to clean the deep pores of the rust, and multiply that by 100 or 1000 and you can see how many hours just that one part of the process adds up to. I want to be careful not to over commit our resources and burn everyone out.

But I think this is a great opportunity for some of you who don''t have the resources available to pull this together and save those reject clips. How many people actually keep a sand blaster in their back yard...after all !! So I want to keep the offer open to the forum as long as possible so that as many forum members as possible can get a chance to hear about this ... and participate in our groups effort if they want to.

This is absolutely not a commercial operation for us. I just think it is a very cool idea to work together and salvage these clips that would have probably been junked..... and put them back in the hands of shooters who appreciate them.

Apparently the CMP thought so too!!! We refinish and refurbish the rifles, and it just really disturbs me to think of all those clips going to waste in the scrap yard if they can be saved. I can''t make a career out of saving clips....but this will be our small contribution to the group effort.

So send your e-mails in right away, even if you can''t get the clips packed and sent in for a few days, so that I can get a picture of how many more of you will be sending clips our way. I will let you guys know by the first part of the week if we can keep this offer open for another full week. Thanks.

Jeff
[email protected]

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey guys...

I would like to get some idea by this weekend who will be sending clips, as I am going to have to make a decision by then as to whether or not to keep the offer open for another week.

We are getting a lot of clips coming in. Some group members are sending full boxes... and some are sending just a few. Either way is ok... but each one we receive adds to our work load, so our work load is growing.

It is not just a simple "dipping and stripping" !!! Figure that the bead blasting takes a few minutes per clip at a minimum, to clean the deep pores of the rust, and multiply that by 100 or 1000 and you can see how many hours just that one part of the process adds up to. I want to be careful not to over commit our resources and burn everyone out.

But I think this is a great opportunity for some of you who don''t have the resources available to pull this together and save those reject clips. How many people actually keep a sand blaster in their back yard...after all !! So I want to keep the offer open to the forum as long as possible so that as many forum members as possible can get a chance to hear about this ... and participate in our groups effort if they want to.

This is absolutely not a commercial operation for us. I just think it is a very cool idea to work together and salvage these clips that would have probably been junked..... and put them back in the hands of shooters who appreciate them.

Apparently the CMP thought so too!!! We refinish and refurbish the rifles, and it just really disturbs me to think of all those clips going to waste in the scrap yard if they can be saved. I can''t make a career out of saving clips....but this will be our small contribution to the group effort.

So send your e-mails in right away, even if you can''t get the clips packed and sent in for a few days, so that I can get a picture of how many more of you will be sending clips our way. I will let you guys know by the first part of the week if we can keep this offer open for another full week. Thanks.

Jeff
[email protected]

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey guys...

Jeff
[email protected]

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.