M14 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
79 IHC Scout II, 74 VW Bug class 11 look a like
7,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has any ever tried using Rust-Oleum flexible rubber coating on a stock before? I bought a can for another job but have not used it yet and I got to thinking how it might work on a stock. I have a junk 10/22 stock somebody gave me, I will dig it out and see how it works.

Casey

·
Registered
186 Posts
Casey,

I have two USGI fiberglass stocks that I used
Rust Oleum Truck Bed Coating on and they both
turned out really nice.

Comes in 15oz. can and can be bought at a car parts store or Walmart.

Good stuff,very durable,can be painted over and also adds a non slip grip texture as well.

My .02 cents. Good Luck and Enjoy!!

·
Registered
186 Posts
Nope.Nothing like plasti-dip.

I've had these two stocks for sometime now
and both are currently on the rifles I shoot...A lot!

I don't mistreat my weapons but don't baby them too much either and the Rust Oleum liner spray is holding up nicely on each of them.

This and my additional .02 cents might get you a cup of coffee at Race Trac.😁

·
Registered
425 Posts
I was curious about that rubber paint myself. I passed on it because I didn't know how durable it would be.

I have a fiberglass stock that is coated with the Rustoleum bed liner spray. I had it hydrodipped over the bed liner and its great. I've also used it to coat the vented handguard that I use with my walnut stock. It looks nice and seems to have added some strength to the vented sections, which is an added bonus.

One caveat though... If you use carburator/brake cleaner when you clean your rifle, don't get it on the stock or handguard. It will melt the bed liner right off.

·
Registered
4,320 Posts
I even hated Hogue Pistol Grips when they were all the rage!
What the hay if it fells good do it!

·
In the gilded halls of Valhala
13,515 Posts
Nope.Nothing like plasti-dip.

I've had these two stocks for sometime now
and both are currently on the rifles I shoot...A lot!

I don't mistreat my weapons but don't baby them too much either and the Rust Oleum liner spray is holding up nicely on each of them.

This and my additional .02 cents might get you a cup of coffee at Race Trac.��
My statement was directed at the OP who I believe is not talking about the bed liner.
How abrasives or "grippy" is that bed liner. Sounds interesting. I have also wondered about their refrigerator epoxy coating in in a can.
Other posters:

I believe the OP wants to have a grippy rubber rea perhaps on the forearm and pistol grip. That is what i did with plastidip on a rifle and it was real nice but didn't last long. The edges peel then you just pull it off because it looks bad.

I may have had bad results because I sprayed it onto a duracoat stock. It may do better on virgin polymer or fiberglass.

·
Registered
4,777 Posts
That flexible coating is garbage. I have used it on many things including a stock. Junked the stock. Hell, it doesn't even stop leaks like they advertise. It dries out badly and will peel regardless of prep. If you want a good, durable coating, go with the spray on bed liner or rock guard.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.