M14 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Aloha Bill,

I hope this question is not redundant. I recently ordered some parts and some of these parts appear new. There seems to be a white powdery coat over all of these (I think new) parts and I was wondering what this was? Is this a powder coating to protect the parts from rusting?

Is this something that can be bought and applied to parts kept in storage?

I do have some parts that I am storing and think that if that is what this white powder is, then maybe I should apply it to all of these parts and try to keep them from rusting.

Any help on this will be appreciated. I have already benefitted so much from your posts, that I wanted to also say... "Thank You"!

Aloha and Best Wishes,

Tom O.

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
I need more information Tom. A lot of the chemically treated paper from as late as the 1970's had a powdery substance that flaked off and coated the parts. Since the 1980's the chemical is embedded right in the paper and does not come off.

The are desicants that a wrapped in pourous bags. If one of these bags breaks, the powder can come out.

You can purchase desicants commercially, packed in bags. They are ideal for a gun safe. You reheat them periodically to remove the moisture. Some even come with color indicators showing the amount of moisture absorbed and when it is time to reactivate them with heat.

It is highly unlikely that many parts you receive all have the same characteristics, unless they have been refinished. One indication of parts being refinished is improper dilution of the solution. If the solution is not removed properly, it can leave white streaks as it dries, which in turn fall off into a powdery substance. Hope it helps.

·
Registered
3,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Aloha Bill,

Thank you. You are right, about it NOT being likely the same stuff on all these different parts.

I definitely will put dessicant packs in the part bins.

That was a really quick response and I appreciate it.

Aloha and Best Wishes,

Tom O.

·
Registered
359 Posts
tom/bill:
that powdery substance is just vci(vapor corrosion inhibitor) talc it was used to coat parked parts.
it kind of twinkles in the light if you hold it up to bright light. the newer stuff is just plain clear vapor dry coat. i can give you the spec of mil b-121a class 2 . and mil-b-122-2c refd for above is mil-p-116 methods of preservation and mil spec mil-p-3420 vci treated packaging materials. jeff

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.