M14 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
789 Posts
This marks a major shift in Russian military doctrine. The old USSR focused on mass numbers of troops and weapons and as such maintained enormous stockpiles of old weapons. They appear now to be shifting to smaller, modernized forces rather than relying on huge numbers of reservists with antiquated weapons. Old state industries will now fall way to modern, commercial producers like we have. I wouldn't be surprised if they go with a bullpup design like the Chinese are switching to. GI2

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
This marks a major shift in Russian military doctrine. The old USSR focused on mass numbers of troops and weapons and as such maintained enormous stockpiles of old weapons. They appear now to be shifting to smaller, modernized forces rather than relying on huge numbers of reservists with antiquated weapons. Old state industries will now fall way to modern, commercial producers like we have. I wouldn't be surprised if they go with a bullpup design like the Chinese are switching to. GI2
Like they have a choice? The Old Russia throw huge numbers of bodies at the problem is gone. New Russia is still sorting itself out, and probably will be until after 2050 at the earliest. Just like New America is going to be sorting itself out after the bulk of the Baby Boomers die of old age. But that's a different process that gets New America to basically the same place as New Russia.

I like the gibberish about the AN-94 on Wikipedia (the knower of all Things Half @ssed). Why is it the Russians do all the lead R&D on small arms? Stoner's M-16 design was as much a reaction to the AK-47 as anything. And the AK-47 was a knock-off + improvement on the German "Schmeizer" (sp).

Why is the USA so slow at small arms design, other than the M14 is very practical and works well?

Reactions: bigbang

·
Registered
7,441 Posts
If this happens, I assume it is indeed a move away from the old spray and no need to pray policy embodied by the AK47 and 74. Perhaps if this new weapon actually needs maintainence, the world won't be flooded with gangs carrying them.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I just read the article. It just says the Russian army is no longer buying AK-74s because it has way more than it needs in inventory.

Explaining the decision to give up the purchase of Kalashnikov rifles, Makarov said: "First of all, it was caused by the fact that the country's mobilization reserve stocks, including those of assault rifles, exceed the requirements by dozens of times."
It doesn't say the Russian army has any immediate plans to quit using the AK-74. The article speculates about possible successors (e.g. the AN-94, AEK-941 and AK 100 and 200). However, it may be a long time before Russia spends the money to do that, given its huge stocks of AKs.

·
Registered
465 Posts
I think the new trend right now is creating an assault rifle that has "Hyper Burst" for both the US military and the Russian military ... 2 shots with one impulse, one trigger pull. I can only imagine the damage of one pull of the trigger and 2 rounds hitting/impacting the same spot.

I got this off the Shot Gun news article when they covered the AN-94 rifle.

·
Registered
789 Posts
I just read the article. It just says the Russian army is no longer buying AK-74s because it has way more than it needs in inventory.

It doesn't say the Russian army has any immediate plans to quit using the AK-74. The article speculates about possible successors (e.g. the AN-94, AEK-941 and AK 100 and 200). However, it may be a long time before Russia spends the money to do that, given its huge stocks of AKs.
At the beginning of the article it said this:

"The reason is simple: the Defense Ministry must partially reduce the vast stocks of war reserve weapons and equipment that it inherited from the Soviet era. The amount of weapons in the country's reserve depots is enough to arm almost all the adults in the country"

You must understand how the old Soviet army worked. They operated on a system where every male was considered a reservist until they were 50. Most of the military units were kept at level "B" and "C" - "A" = full strength. The intent was these units would be rapidly filled with reservists who would draw their weapons etc. from stockpiles. As the stockpiles were usually older weapons, they would probably be issued a weapon from the time when they were on active duty. Really old tanks etc. from WWII era were sent to the Chinese frontier to be encased on concrete as pill boxes for border defense - the Soviets wasted nothing. The statement above means they are moving away from this system and eliminating their huge stockpiles of old weapons as they transition to newer weapons for their reduced forces. GI2

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.