M14 Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Gents...

Recently, I had a DAG case rupture at the shoulder... Just a small pin-hole. It was from a batch of DAG which was corroded, and I had culled all of the corroded rounds, this one looked fine.

Anyways, fired and extracted as normal in an AR-10 type carbine with a nitride treated bore and chamber. Looked in there and saw no sign of gas cutting, but is this something I should be concerned about? I'm probably overthinking it because nitride is harder than chrome, but still.

Needless to say, the rest of that batch has been pulled down and the brass scrapped.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
You shouldn`t be concerned about it. The main purpose of the case is to keep the powder in and to seal the chamber backwards. It is not a pressure containment. Thats the purpose of the chamber. Artillery rounds have no case at all and their chambers have to cope with higher pressures and hotter flames.
Wolf

Reactions: Ontos

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You shouldn`t be concerned about it. The main purpose of the case is to keep the powder in and to seal the chamber backwards. It is not a pressure containment. Thats the purpose of the chamber. Artillery rounds have no case at all and their chambers have to cope with higher pressures and hotter flames.
Wolf
Thank you sir. That's what I was thinking, but it was still on my mind.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.