M14 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I guess we've all be reading that the inventory for M14 parts is running pretty low and the boys have been taking a liking to the M14 for the designated marksman program . I can cite no specific source where i came across this in the last while but i did read that over the years the government exported 10s of thousands of rifles to friendly governments . Apparently we have some law on the books that says that once a military firearm is exported out of the country it can't be re-imported . I read that Isreal still has about 18,000 in a warehouse and the Philipines may have up to 40,000 in warehouses . This is all heresay but if it's true it seems to me that it would be pretty easy for the government to change the law and they could probably get these rifles back at firesale prices . The boys could use the parts . Has anyone else heard of this ? True or False .

·
Banned
3,070 Posts
My M14 Buy back idea...

Is it possible for the US to buy a certain # of these rifles back from each and every one of these friendly nations?

Even 10% of the total stockpiles would be a large number going into the hands of our fighting troops quickly ---
At the same time re-invest in the M14 platform.
With the help of the US private sector put the M14 back into production here in the US.
Do this and export the new and improved production back to those same friendly nations...
If they help us now we will update each nations stockpile later.

I would make sure the private sector could market new production GI replacement parts and some (all) new technology to us 8)

~ Just an idea

·
Registered
371 Posts
Just since 1995 ,US gave away over 124,000 M14's to mainly Baltic countries and Taiwan.

RED DOT

·
Registered
824 Posts
Tawain?

I heard of the gifts to the Baltic countries but not Taiwan who got the tooliing for the M14 fro the U.S. and made I think close to 200,000 of their own. THe major problem is really buildiing the tooliing again and finding a manufacturer. It is really a shame that the Armory system was done away with in 1968. I doubt that commercial firms that make cast parts would be able to past USGI specs and tests. I had heard that LRB was appproached by one of the armed forces special services types around the new receiver with intergral scope mounts, but they produce so few.

·
Registered
371 Posts
here are some numbers..1995/ 30,450 to Taiwan...1995/3,638 to Phillipines...1998/40,500 to Estonia...1998/40,000 to Lithuania...1996/10,000 to Latvia

RED DOT

·
Registered
276 Posts
Why the hell should we have to buy back our own rifles? I say if we are going to spend money on procurement of rifles, they should be newly manufactured rifle. We just need to tool up.

We do re-import our own rifles back from counrties that surplus our gifts. Just look at all the rifles that the CMP is selling. We brought back our garands from denmark and now grease. I don't see why we can't do the same with the 14.

·
Banned
3,070 Posts
colt100 said:
Why the hell should we have to buy back our own rifles? I say if we are going to spend money on procurement of rifles, they should be newly manufactured rifle. We just need to tool up.
My thinking is a small buy back would put weapons into action quickly and give production the incentive and time to get up to speed.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Atr,

"it would be pretty easy for the Govt to change the law" :?: 8O

Respectfully and Strongly disagree. The USGummint will not pass any pro-gun legislation for any time in the foreseeeable future. It's inconceivable right now that the House, Senate and Prez will do any easing of existing gun / importation laws.

BUT what would be the best option is to strip the rifles and bring the parts in as kits or individual parts and chunk the receivers. That would be much more likely to happen.
Ideally, these Govts that have former UG M-14's would sell those rifles as scrap and whoever bought them (still overseas) could strip them for parts.

And of course ATF loves imported parts kits! :D

It sure would be nice to order a USGI M-14 parts kit for about $500!
J

·
Registered
46 Posts
As a 3 time national shooting champion (M-14) Ken R. I will not even try to butcher his last name, said to me on Thursday the M1A/ M14 platform is becoming very popular again with shooters.
Maybe not at the match level but at the average guy who wants a nice semi-auto rifle.
Plus who else makes an American made semi-auto .308?
Heck everyone I know that I shot combat against in the early 90's with my Super Match now owns a M1A. It is really depressing when a guy with a Dinosaur, (their words) M1A kicks your butt and your shooting a brand new wiz bang Colt H-Bar. Like everything if it works well people will gravitate to it. And from what I have heard in the Military circles the AR Type .308's still haven't gotten the bugs out of them yet.
I have a HK 91 and yes it is a nice accurate gun BUT I like my M1A's a lot more when it comes to shooting enjoyment. And if the S ever HTF around my house the first gun I would grab would be one of my M1A's. They always work and they always hit what they are aimed at.
And lastly check out the SN born on date thread and notice after 1990 how many guns Springfield Armory increased production on over the previous years. Guys there are a heck of a lot more M1A's floating around than most of us realize. How many manufactures of M14/M1A rifles have popped up in the U.S. since the mid-eighties?

·
Registered
57 Posts
The really sad part is that in the mid-90's, when the bases in San Antonio scrapped all/most of their M-14's , they were forced to destroy all the usable parts off those rifles. :cry:
The guys running the choppers had to be watched so they didn't miss chopping anything. They chopped whole guns. No parts were stripped off.
They were able to ruin everything. The USG allowed their Berettas that were being de-miled to be stripped( Old Berettas and the Clinton Admin thought less handguns=safer world). Whomever ran the show wanted to make sure that no intact M-14 surplus parts made it in the scrap bins.
I know I looked. I couldn't even find a hammer or trigger that wasn't bent. Op rods were in at least 3 pieces. I did find 2 TRW bolt NIW that were sold long ago (too cheap). :mad:
The armorers at Fort Sam and the SA area USAF bases that I spoke with were absolutely sick. Brand new guns were chopped. I'm guessing the numbers ran into the 100's maybe even a few thousand. With all the base reduction stuff going on, they said they no longer had room to store all those rifles.

Really depressing...... :cry:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.