M14 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have one in 44 mag and my question is about the cylinder. When it spins the thing sounds like a washing machine from the 1960s. My other pistols are all smooth as if they are on ball bearings. Is this cause for concern? The cylinder lock up seems to be tight BTW.

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
The price of BEEFINESS, without paying for Doug Bowen...

Mine is in .45 Colt.

A Wild West Guns Wolverine conversion is on my list. They are smoother than

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Speak with Ruger and see what they say. Rumor has it their customer service is excellent.

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
I woulldn'nt worry about it. On the other hand, trigger over travel is excessive. This causes a backlash upon release. Installing a trigger stop will cut your groups in half or better.

·
Registered
3,773 Posts
I have been looking for one in 480 ruger in the alaskan model but I have never seen one and I have never been able to find brass either. I have always loved these and wished I bought one of these instead of the New Model Super Blackhawk in 44 mag

·
Registered
2,935 Posts
You're hearing the cylinder locking bolt drop into the corresponding cut in the cylinder as the cylinder is spun. We used to call it "singing." If yours makes that much noise it just means your revolver hasn't been used that much. If you get a chance to compare the Ruger with other makers DA big bores you'll see the bolt protrudes from the frame almost twice as much. Super strong revolver and much nicer than the Super Redhawg(Freudian slip?) in my opinion.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
I have one in .45 Colt, 4" barrel. My wife gave it to me for Christmas a few years ago, and I sent it to Hamilton Bowen for the "Kodiac" treatment before a round had been through it, so I can't comment on the noises from the factory.

What I do know is that after the "Kodiac" treatment it is accurate as he!! with 300 gr XTPs' with WW296, and has a great trigger. It also has two sets of sights, but I've only used one so far, as they have been more than adequate.

I'm usually a pre 2000 S&W fan, but this Redhawk is my go to for any type of packing gun in bear country. Unfortunately, it's not shiny enough to distract any bears, but I may be able to outrun one or two of my companions in any case.

·
Registered
403 Posts
MrShmitty: the 480 is listed on the Ruger site again. Maybe your short version will be made soon.

Edit: poor reading skills: 480 is in SRH.

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
I have the Redhawk, and the S&W 629. If you are firing hot 44Mag Ammo, the Ruger is the one that you want to have. BTW my Redhawk is not noisy.

·
Registered
4,777 Posts
Solid guns that will last next to forever. They will handle hot loads with ease. If you want fun, send it to magna port. Get it chopped to 3"...

·
Registered
530 Posts
I traded a Glock model 22 straight up even for my 5 1/2 inch Redhawk in 1996. Best trade EVER! It is a early 80's model which I love. I have carried it in the woods many times. It is the one handgun I would never part with.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
I traded a Glock model 22 straight up even for my 5 1/2 inch Redhawk in 1996. Best trade EVER! It is a early 80's model which I love. I have carried it in the woods many times. It is the one handgun I would never part with.

You stole that!! Good trade!!

·
Registered
561 Posts
I have one that I got when they first came out. Probably late '60's-early '80's. I was part owner of a local gun store then. Mine has rifle sights on it. A gold bead front and a V notch rear. Killed a deer at about 130 yards with it. Smooth as silk and twice as heavy.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Mine is as smooth as can be after more than thirty years. I smoothed up the action some for a crisp letoff, installed a Trapper spring kit, sticking with the medium spring to ensure ignition in both single-action and double-action mode. My friend installed a nice trigger stop for me too. I've had one problem with it. The hammer link hook broke at a range session about year ten. Ruger sent me a new one at no cost and it's been fine ever since.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I don't know what you mean by sounding like a washing machine, but it should click in each position. If it's anything more than a simple and gentle click that says very calmly, "hey, I'm in the next position" I'd get it looked at.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Both my Redhawks are 1984s, .357 and .44 and they spin smooth and quite

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
I have two Redhawks, a 5.5" .357 mag as well as a 7.5" .44 mag and both of their cylinders are smooth and quite when spun in either direction.

7th

1 - 20 of 23 Posts