M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
3,891 Posts
Oh, no, they finally did it. GI8

For years the only choices have been Steyr, Savage, or custom. I didn't like the scope mount setup on the Savage, and the Steyr was... well... A Steyr.

My Scout is a budget custom on a 98 Mauser carbine. I have a M1924 FN Mexican large ring 98, intermediate length, put away that I have been planning to build up into the final perfect Scout in .308 with a lot of custom work.

Now along comes Ruger with a very interesting alternative. Looks good enough to just skip all of the custom work, although I don't know why it's in a laminate stock. I would immediately ditch that and put it in something like a High Tech Specialties composite, or a Brown Precision carbon kevlar and drop another half pound.

I would also have happily ditched the flash suppressor for another 1.5" of barrel. I would want to see a 5 rd mag for carry, keep the 10 rounders in pouches for backup. Looks like they got the sights right, and that's the hardest part of a custom is getting the BUIS arrangement right. If that's a standard M77 action it should also be controlled round feed.

Sure looks good, I'm drooling already. Gonna hafta look hard at this one. DI5

·
Banned
1,113 Posts
???

$995.00???

Does it come with a "happy ending"????

If is accepts M14 mags its would be good but I know it wont and Ill have to buy some ruger $45 each types.....

Ill pass for now.. to pricey.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I figure if it's like other Rugers, the MSRP is $950 or so, so the street price should be around $800.

I'd rather that it was compatible with M-14 mags, but it'll do.

ITMFND

·
Registered
71 Posts
...If that's a standard M77 action it should also be controlled round feed.
From Rugers press release:

"Developed in conjunction with Gunsite instructor Ed Head, the Ruger Gunsite Scout Rifle is a new platform in the Ruger M77® family. While the Scout Rifle has M77 features such as controlled round feed and integral scope mounts (scope rings included), the 10-round detachable box magazine is the first clue this isn't your grandfather's Ruger rifle."

Boys, this is gonna be hard for me to resist as well...

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
For cast Mausers, Rugers aint bad. I've never been happy with the fact a lot of their barrels have rather excessive leade, causing inherently accurate rounds to be substandard out of their rifles. Jury is still out on this one, but I do like the look and functionality of it fer sure.

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
I like it also, but ya think ruger would make this thing so that it accepts M14 mags. The increased $$ in Gunsite Scout Rifle sales (~because~ of the ability to use M14 mags) would probably far outstrip what they hope to make on Ruger proprietary mag sales . .

There might be one in my future if I see a used one for a fair price.

However, my buddy said something that gave me pause . . "It's a bolt action SOCOM 16 that you HAVE to use Ruger mags in . . "GI8

Something to think about.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Ruger Scout rifle

Holy ......! Now that's a very cool concept. I agree with a poster that I'd trade the FH for another inch and a half of barrel. I'm sure there will be after/market goodies galore for this.,i/e/ syn/stock and so on. As others have mentioned, I hope this accepts M14 mags although Ruger would be smart in a marketing/$ making sense to have a proprietary magazine.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Doesn't use proprietary mags... Uses AI standard mags which are pretty easy to come across.

·
Registered
413 Posts
AI standard mags run $70-90 a peice. I just bought 1, couldnt afford 2. That might be a killer in its self.

I hope they will work with some of the AI clones!! I will be buying Alpha Mags in the future. Great rep, 10 rounds in a shorter package and only about 2/3rds the price.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

·
Registered
684 Posts
;( I will have to pass at that price.

I'm just not impressed.

10 rounds? Got it.
Flash hider? Got it.
.308 and sub MOA? Got that too.
Ranging OEM scope,, 20" barrel well they don't have that.

·
Cranky Old Vietnam Vet
10,663 Posts
I Don't Think Jeff Cooper Said His Perfect 'SCOUT' Rifle Needed a 20 Round Magazine...

I Think This Is All About...MARKETING !

Manufacturers Keep Trying to Re-Define What IS...

It's Their Way of Making Us WANT What We Really Don't Need...

And RUGER is an Expert At That!

GITEN

CAVman in WYoming

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
Let's not be taken to outright bashing of manufacturers, even if they seemingly deserve at least a little slam. My bad on the crack smoking bit...GI2

I've been into "scout" type rifles for over 20 years. In the late 80s and through the 90s, I had the opportunity to be a designated shooter on a large 30k plus acre ranch north of San Angelo, Texas. My duties were to legally harvet doe white tail that lease owners neglected to take. This entailed 10-15 animals a weekend sometimes. I needed a light, accurate, durable rig, and this rifle really did the job. It will screw a 52gr bthp into a does ear at 200m, and drop her before her shadow stops grazing. 60gr spire points accounted for many as well. I would hesitate to guess, but I recon I have killed over 100 white tail with this rifle, and the Coyotes in Runnells County Texas knew it well.DI5

Rifle: Browning Micro A-Bolt, Gen I, affectionately known as "Popadoe"
Cal: .223 Rem and 5.56x45 (yes, you read that right. It has military ammo friendly chamber) Capacity: 5 rounds, drop and clip mags.
Scope: Leupy 3.5-10 VariXIII, Mc4
Weight, loaded: 6lbs 14oz
Accuracy: .75 MOA nominal (trigger tweak and bed&float)

When Steyr came out with the Scout, I was all about it. I really appreciate my small rifle, and even my 308 700 VBDL had been docked to 20". I did not, however, agree with Cooper that a scout rifle has to be a 308, or a large bore at all. I was thinking 260 or 7mm-08.
A 5.56 has shown me what it can do, and while I certainly would agree that in the hands of a qualified shooter a 5.56 would suffice, I believe the newer 6.8SPC Rem would be a much better round. Lighter is better in pack rifles, and the 6.8 has shown outstanding performance in short light barrels. I hope Ruger takes this into account and prouces other calibers.

The little Browning with it's reliable Sako type extractor, in 6.8 modded to accept AR mags (8-26 round capacity, your choice) would be my choice of the ultimate Scout rifle. Better perhaps would be the short action Mauser by CZ, with the AR mag capability, again in 6.8.

And I'd take the Enfield over any Ruger or Steyr any day. Nice stick Sir!

·
Registered
439 Posts
Strongly resisting not dipping into savings!

I absolutely love the thought of this rifle. I do wish they designed it around the M14 mag, but even with the single stack mags it is still worth it to me. I saw it & thought what a great rifle to take on a hog hunt! Handy & short, but with .308 knockdown. Toss a scout scope on her & go!
Does anyone know if it is chambered to take 7.62 NATO along with the .308 WIN? That would be optimal, just so I can feed it some NATO surplus for practice DI2
As for the high $$$ magazines, well I think that 3 ten rounders would be enough for the role I would employ this rifle in. It's a scout rifle so I figure pack light & stay mobile, but have some punch if you need it. Now I wonder if 2 scout mags would fit in a single M14 mag pouch? DI2

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
I Don't Think Jeff Cooper Said His Perfect 'SCOUT' Rifle Needed a 20 Round Magazine...

I Think This Is All About...MARKETING !

Manufacturers Keep Trying to Re-Define What IS...

It's Their Way of Making Us WANT What We Really Don't Need...

And RUGER is an Expert At That!

GITEN

CAVman in WYoming
That was my initial thought (what Jeff Cooper would have thought) exactly, Cavman. Although this offering does meet many of Cooper's suggestions I fail to see how it is superior in many ways to the SOCOM 16 or SOCOM II. Not to put words in Cooper's mouth, but I think his preference for a bolt action in his Scout rifle was due to the inherent accuracy advantages in bolt action, versus most semi-autos, at the time. I'm not so sure that disparity in accuracy still exists today, and wonder if he would still feel the same way today.

·
Registered
3,891 Posts
That was my initial thought (what Jeff Cooper would have thought) exactly, Cavman. Although this offering does meet many of Cooper's suggestions I fail to see how it is superior in many ways to the SOCOM 16 or SOCOM II. Not to put words in Cooper's mouth, but I think his preference for a bolt action in his Scout rifle was due to the inherent accuracy advantages in bolt action, versus most semi-autos, at the time. I'm not so sure that disparity in accuracy still exists today, and wonder if he would still feel the same way today.
Actually it was weight, not accuracy. Cooper was not a fanatic about sub-MOA for a Scout rifle, in fact he figured 2 MOA would be good enough. He was however a fanatic about weight for this type of rifle. The original spec for a Scout was 3 kilos (6.6lbs, and that's WITH scope and sling.)

They did consider semi-autos and Cooper had no objection in theory, but they could not find a semi-auto .308 Win that could come anywhere close to the weight limit so they discarded that idea.

What is the actual weight of a SOCOM 16, with a scope, sling, and magazine? Anybody weighed one?

EDIT: And please don't get me wrong, I'm not bashing the SOCOM 16 here. It is what it is, a semi-auto battle carbine and a great one at that. But it is not a Cooper Scout rifle. I happen to think Cooper's Scout concept is brilliant, and I get tired of the abuse of the name. I have seen so many reports of "The Perfect Cooper Scout Rifle, except that it weighs 18 pounds instead of 6.6, it is 48" long instead of 1 meter (39"), it shoots .17 HMR instead of .308, and instead of a low-power EER scope mounted ahead of the receiver it has a 6-24x56 scope over the receiver. So, basically, it fails every single one of Cooper's criteria but I call it a Cooper Scout anyway."

This Ruger comes very close, but it's too heavy, the barrel is too short and the flash suppressor is a waste of OAL, and the rear sight doesn't fold and would totally block the view of a Scout scope when mounted correctly. If Ruger gave me the option of an 18" barrel w/o FS, put it in a synthetic stock to drop 1/2 pound at least, and made the rear sight fold down I'd buy it.

1 - 20 of 83 Posts