M14 Forum banner

Rubber spacer pn#7790914

11832 Views 29 Replies 16 Participants Last post by  forsyth793
Bill
I'm looking for a stock spacer from the early 60's that allows the use of a m1 rifle buttplate on a m14 stock. I've only seen one in fifteen years. I think these were made about 1960 and the part number is 7790914.
Would you know where to find one or are these a thing of the past ?
THANKSJMPWNG2
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

· Registered
Custom service rifle builder
9,250 Posts
Thanks to Different. I don't know how many times I've read R. Blake Steven's book, but I seem to have let this information slip right on by.

· Registered
5,761 Posts
I want to try the M1 buttplate on my number 3 gun, but those rubber spacers are nowhere to be found, and I do not want to leave that space void or fill it in with wood. So I advertised in the WTB section for Chicom buttplate I can hacksaw and file to fit. Patriot Armory 308 responded with a PM. He has one he can part with - the best part he sent the item to me for free. Thank you PA 308!!!

Here are a couple of pictures with the Chicom buttplate grafted into the McM stock and the M1 buttplate over it. This is not in its final form yet, I still have to do some fine tuning for the final fit.

I am hoping the line and rule Nazis will leave me alone with this mod.

· Registered
1,633 Posts
Seems if you want to use it for service rifle matches, it can't have external mods that are obvious. However, if the filler were of a wood-colored material, it would blend in more and not cause a stir. If someone has an original, why not put the dimensions on this site so we can make our own. A scrap Garand stock would be a good donor.

Bruce

· Registered
Custom service rifle builder
9,250 Posts
It is possible to make a filler out of a piece of walnut. It take some very careful fitting but comes out quite well. I've done a couple of stocks this way. One using a scrap piece of walnut and one using walnut from an old M1 stock. The trick is to get a good match for the stain. The filler shows, but looks like a arsenal stock repair job. It's a good way to come up with a stock for that LRB T44-E4 project. The second stock I did had the selector cut out filled in with some kind of glass bedding compound. I managed to remove it with a Dremel tool and it came out good.

I have one of the original rubber fillers. It should be a simple job to duplicate it, but I don't know where to go for that. My research indicates that a rifle with a rubber filler should conform to those made in mid to late 1960. It would have a gas cylinder without the barrel band boss and either a wood or slotted handguard, most likely wood.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.