M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bill
I'm looking for a stock spacer from the early 60's that allows the use of a m1 rifle buttplate on a m14 stock. I've only seen one in fifteen years. I think these were made about 1960 and the part number is 7790914.
Would you know where to find one or are these a thing of the past ?
THANKSJMPWNG2

· Registered
4,021 Posts
Bill
I'm looking for a stock spacer from the early 60's that allows the use of a m1 rifle buttplate on a m14 stock. I've only seen one in fifteen years. I think these were made about 1960 and the part number is 7790914.
THANKSJMPWNG2

As Bill states above they are a rare part. Just what are you attempting to do here? If it's just removing the flip up buttplate, just punch out the roll pin that holds it in place in the unit. The other part of the unit will still fill in the slot in the stock. Did this to my Bush Rifle to remove the 1/2 lb that the flip up butt plate weighs. See pic below dozier

View attachment 13313

· Registered
5,759 Posts
Bill
THANKSJMPWNG2

Educate me, where does this spacer go? Never seen nor heard of one till now.

Read the title- - it says rubber spacer, does it imply between between the stock and the buttplate? If so about how thick is it? Color? And is it competition legal. I know the M1 buttplate is.

· Registered
2,449 Posts
I got this information from a retired SA employee circa mid 1980's.

After the adoption of the late butt plate, SA had problems with production. The facility was making lots of late butt stocks, but could not make as many butt plates, to specification, early on. So Rock Island produced the rubber spacer for SA, so they could continue to produce M14's with Garand Butt Plates on the late stock. It lasted only a month or two until SA finally corrected its late butt plate production.

The butt plates SA installed were unique in design and very few exist today. They are listed in the Reference forum.

http://m14forum.com/reference/81853-short-lived-early-m14-butt-plates.html

He gave me about 8 or 9 of them because after that short problem, they became useless and when thrown out, he retrieved them from the garbage.

· Registered
5,759 Posts
Now, if I were to use any M1 buttplate to cut the LOP a little, how do you guys fill the void where the hinge assembly was?

I tried the M1 buttplate (with that ugly opening on top of the buttstock) on one of my 14s and for a short guy like me even the miniscule change in the LOP helps especially in the offhand. My arms and total stature does not allow me to hold the rifle at the bottom of the mag, so I had to adapt and hold the rifle in front of the mag. With this hold I have to lean backwards more than I usually do with the little black gun.

· Registered
2,447 Posts
Now, if I were to use any M1 buttplate to cut the LOP a little, how do you guys fill the void where the hinge assembly was?

I tried the M1 buttplate (with that ugly opening on top of the buttstock) on one of my 14s and for a short guy like me even the miniscule change in the LOP helps especially in the offhand. My arms and total stature does not allow me to hold the rifle at the bottom of the mag, so I had to adapt and hold the rifle in front of the mag. With this hold I have to lean backwards more than I usually do with the little black gun.
Gus touched on this just recently. Here's the link. Go to post #40.
http://m14forum.com/modern-m14/1047...uld-you-like-done-g-i-fiberglass-stock-2.html

· Registered
Custom service rifle builder
9,244 Posts
Several years ago I came across one of these rubber spacers in a batch of parts I bought from former AMU armorer Bob (Blinky) Blinkensop. It sat in my tool kit for a long while until I saw a post by Bill Ricca explaining their use. It does indeed fill the hole, in the heel of the stock, that normally accepts the folding hing assembly on the M14 butt plate. They are made from black hard rubber. I think it would be fairly easy to make one of these fillers from wood to fill the space. As Bill said, they are rare since most were thrown away when the new folding butt plates became available. There doesn't seem to be any records of how many were produced or how long they were actually installed in new rifles by Springfield Armory. I think these were put in use about the same time the slotted hand guard was produced.

· Registered
3,839 Posts
I have one of the spacers, original. One of these days when I have some time I will make a mold of it and reproduce some in hard rubber, with the word "repro" cast in discreetly under the stock line.

· Registered
5,759 Posts
I have one of the spacers, original. One of these days when I have some time I will make a mold of it and reproduce some in hard rubber, with the word "repro" cast in discreetly under the stock line.
Perfect.

Do it...

I want to shoot my 14s with the M1 buttplates and have a nice filler in that cavity.

· Registered
2,447 Posts
I'll keep an eye out for this also.

· Registered
9,283 Posts

· Registered
671 Posts
Stumbled upon this today while I was trying to make some sort of butt pad for and E2 stock that had been shortened, (basically trying to salvage the stock)

(hasnt worked yet due to the holes not lining up, still working on something else)

Anyway, as I was working on that I'd noticed the end plug just sitting there headed for the garbage when I remembered this post,

I abandon the E2 project for a bit and started working on this

I suppose if you were trying to save the plug instead of the butt pad you could cut it off longer to look a bit more like the original

Bill Ricca photo

as it is with this extra piece, it seems like it would work but one would need to trim it so it is longer as to be able to trim it to be trapped in with the Garand Butt plate,
with this piece it would need to be attached with a small screw in the end to the back of the stock so it would be hidden by the plate

heh.... just a thought

· Registered
4,021 Posts

Bamban, are you trying to do what I did in the post #3 above? I did it for the weight removal instead of the LOP. By punching out the roll pin and removing the flip up plate, the rest of the butt plate still fills in the stock. The remaining unit is basically a M1 butt plate w/ the forward slot filler. dozier

· Registered
5,759 Posts
Bamban, are you trying to do what I did in the post #3 above? I did it for the weight removal instead of the LOP. By punching out the roll pin and removing the flip up plate, the rest of the butt plate still fills in the stock. The remaining unit is basically a M1 butt plate w/ the forward slot filler. dozier
Yes. The only problem the rules Nazi will smack me with "External Modification"
The issue I have they are OK with the filler material of any kind except for the pseudo-M1 buttplate like you have. I did one like yours for my practice rifle.

If I could find a nice filler like the poster pasted in the thread I will do the M1 buttplate in my number 1 gun.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.