M14 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My local gun shop has a Sig 516 patrol model, and a Rock River Arms PDS carbine with the tri-rail both in the $1500-$1600 range. I do want a piston drive system AR, and these two are very different from one another.

If anyone has experience with either of the two i would love some actual feedback from anyone who has used either platform.

·
Registered
3,987 Posts
The RRA piston system I believe is proprietary. I don't know about Sig.

Of the two, I would go Sig. And I like RRA rifles.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is there any particular reason you would choose sig over RRA? prior experience, customer service, etc.?

·
Registered
6,577 Posts
The RRA piston system I believe is proprietary.
They're all proprietary. That's one of the problems with piston guns.

IMO if you want a piston rifle, get an AK, a SIG556, a Galil, or a SCAR.

Reactions: Dire88

·
Registered
3,987 Posts
Is there any particular reason you would choose sig over RRA? prior experience, customer service, etc.?
RRA makes a nice rifle, don't get me wrong. I'd trust every one I've owned to go bang every trigger pull.

But they have had QC issues in the past, and for a newer system like their piston system, which hasn't sold a whole lot, I wouldn't want one until I knew the kinks had been worked out.

As for Sig...I don't think I've ever heard a complaint in regards to them. I've never owned one personally, but have shot a few and know a lot of people who own them.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
As for Sig...I don't think I've ever heard a complaint in regards to them.
I had never heard a complaint until i searched some forums and be it due to improper gas regulator settings, or low pressure .223 ammo some people (surely not all of them) do seem to be having problems with their 516's right out of the box. see:
http://http://sigtalk.com/sig-sauer-rifles/3853-sig-516-major-issues.html

not sure if this is just every single person with a lemon gun posting on the same forum or if there is a common problem with them not cycling before they are "broken in".

·
Registered
53 Posts
I have only sometimes had short stroking issues on a 516 with combloc 223, but I just change the gas reg setting, and that goes away. I have seen short stroking with combloc 223 on a DI BCM, also, but there of course is not any adjustment to deal with that problem on those types.

·
Registered
7,081 Posts
If the price is the same I'd go SIG, I'd only consider the RRA if it was several hundred less and then I'd probably still get the SIG.

I saw a Ruger SR556 today priced at $1049,I'd probably get that over both the SIG and RRA if I wanted a piston gun.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I will second the vote for the SIG 556 over the piston ARs. Tears of joy will cloud your eyes when you field strip and clean it the first time. Less moving parts than the AR or the Piston AR. Also a late 1980s modern design still in military and foreign LE use. PM me if you have questions, I don't have a lot of time to elaborate at the moment. Some earlier rifles had mfg defects that were from undeveloped processes when mfg at SIG USA. I had two of them. They seem to have worked out their issues in the last few years.

·
Registered
7,081 Posts
I will second the vote for the SIG 556 over the piston ARs. Tears of joy will cloud your eyes when you field strip and clean it the first time. Less moving parts than the AR or the Piston AR. Also a late 1980s modern design still in military and foreign LE use. PM me if you have questions, I don't have a lot of time to elaborate at the moment. Some earlier rifles had mfg defects that were from undeveloped processes when mfg at SIG USA. I had two of them. They seem to have worked out their issues in the last few years.
Choice is a Piston RRA or a Sig 516 not 556.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Somehow I knew I'd draw the forum fuzz for that post. Just adding to the other non listed in original post models suggested. Who do I pay the minor misdemeanor fine to? Should the others turn themselves in, racked with guilt?

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
They're all proprietary. That's one of the problems with piston guns.

IMO if you want a piston rifle, get an AK, a SIG556, a Galil, or a SCAR.
Nah...I'll stick with the M14 when it comes to piston driven...

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ha, yeah my M1A is my go to gun, and obviously my favorite kind of piston drive system since this is the only forum I use and post on. My dad has a 556 and it is a cadillac shooter, however the two models i mentioned were the ones at the local gun store which i try to do alot of my gun purchases through because I enjoy dealing with the owner there,He's a real top notch guy.

Contrary to much of your appreciated advice, i went down there today and put the RRA PDS on layaway (the banks were closed due to a blizzard in town). I really like the approach they took to the unique piston drive system they use which is closer to a m1a piston design than the other piston drive ARs i have personally handled. Also i sort of fell in love with the charging handle on the RRA compared to the normal AR style guns that i own (all DI). This feature seems like a no brainer for locking the bolt back if a malfunction needs to be cleared without the akward reach around i currently do. The fold around stock is neat, however i do not see myself really ever using this feature unless i'm trying to fit the rifle in a small bag, or in my truck which i probably won't be doing in the near future. So all in all this may not be the best or most bang for the buck, but it certainly has some new design aspects compared to other piston or DI ARs.

It was hard to find alot reviews on this somewhat new design, so if any of you guys are interested i can provide a range report once i can get the gun out for its first few rounds after the snow clears up around here.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts