M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got this marlin 30-30 I’m not sure what happened to it but it got some rust and some hardened crusty stuff in the finish. I was able to get the action moving and I took it apart and started soaking the parts in parts cleaner. It hasn’t seemed to help much. I’ve been trying to wire brush or sand it off but I just taking the finish off.

I was trying to make it nice again to give it to my son for his birthday in September but now I’m wondering if I’m just on a fool’s errand. I never attempted anything like this before.

Any advice?
Outerwear Shoe Textile Sleeve Grey
Brown Wood Font Line Material property

Glove Bicycle part Tool Personal protective equipment Automotive tire

Hand Wood Window Wood stain Hardwood

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Don't ever wire brush, that's a last resort. Try soaking the metal in Evapo-Rust. It will remove rust and leave what's left of the finish.

After that soak it in ATF...... automatic transmission fluid that should get it moving again

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The previous owner left it in an Arizona attic. The wood seems fine just like the finish melted. There’s a couple of places where the metal has chipped or flaked off.

Any thoughts on refinishing?

·
Registered
451 Posts
I'd suggest watching a couple of videos from Mark Novak on youtube. It's a good place to start to see what you're getting yourself into. He has a couple of videos on refinishing and the whole conversion process. That thing needs to be boiled to convert the rust and remove the gunk, and then carded with a SOFT carding wheel.

·
Registered
60 Posts
You’re not gonna be able to save that one with your standard tools and chemicals at home. Like a previous member stated, it’s best if you take it somewhere and have it media blasted and re-blued. If you decide to use evaporust don’t let it sit in the acid too long or it’ll start eating the metal.

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
Take it to the bench grinder, Use a wire wheel, if that don't work bead blast. Wire wheels are not as bad at removing steel than bead blasting. You can get yourself rolling with Bluing tanks and salts from Brownells but you'd need about 20 guns that look like that marlin to justify the cost. Rust Bluing is a cheap way to blue.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Definitely find someone in your area that does Cerakote. I did it with a 1982 dated Winchester 94 that had terrible finish. It came back looking like it was new.

View attachment 487003

View attachment 487004
Man somebody did a beautiful job on this! I'm always looking for a lever action, even in 22LR. Just want one to add to my collection. My dad had a beauty with a scope, but his ex wife absconded with it along with several M1 Carbines, M1 Garands and 1 M1A circa 1960's. Ahh ex wifes can be very vindictive.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts