M14 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've come across a can of loose rounds, 5.56x45.....

It has the NATO Cross, Radway Green "RORG" ID and 89 date.

It's brass, FMJ with brass colored primer (though lighter than the case) and with red primer seal.

It's advertised as "Mil-Spec SS 109" but it's NOT green tip.

MIGHT THIS BE M193, 55grain AND NOT 62grain?

Just not that up to speed on ammo ID'ing especially .223/5.56.
GI3

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
I'm reading that it is 62 grain but that it may be a downloaded variant of M855 that has caused short stroking in some AR's

Reactions: Mainzer

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm reading that it is 62 grain but that it may be a downloaded variant of M855 that has caused short stroking in some AR's
Where might you be reading that Realtor...if I may ask?

And if it is "short stroking"...would it likely work better or worse in a "gas piston" rifle with selectable pressure knob? I have a RUGER SR556 I could use it in, in addition to a DI gun.

Am I correct that M855 is the whole round and SS 109 is the bullet portion of the M855?

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
SS 109 is a foreign designation for a heavy Ball cartridge, which we designated the M855 Ball cartridge. And although NATO specs mean that everything is supposed to be interchangeable, that doesn't hold true in the real world. US troops are routinely cautioned against using 'foreign' ammo in their weapons, or only allowed to use it for training and qualification but not in combat. When I was in the sandbox in 2005-6, we were specifically told not to use British ammo at all.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
my understanding is that the Brits went from 7.62, to the 62grn (ss109) 5.56, and never adopted the 55grn 5.56. Since they never used 55grn, they never needed to paint tips to tell the difference. I don't think the 55grn was ever adopted by nato, so if it has a cross, it should be SS109 projectile

·
Registered
510 Posts
Where might you be reading that Realtor...if I may ask?

And if it is "short stroking"...would it likely work better or worse in a "gas piston" rifle with selectable pressure knob? I have a RUGER SR556 I could use it in, in addition to a DI gun.

Am I correct that M855 is the whole round and SS 109 is the bullet portion of the M855?
Personally, I found everything worked worse in a gas piston gun.. The one I had was extremely picky concerning ammo. My only two settings were for suppressed and unsuppressed so that is what my experience is., had to be brass 5.56, no .223 or steel case. I eventually converted the weapon to DI for reliability purposes.... I am toying with the idea of installing the GP system on my 6.8 to see how reliable it is.........

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Personally, I found everything worked worse in a gas piston gun.. The one I had was extremely picky concerning ammo. My only two settings were for suppressed and unsuppressed so that is what my experience is., had to be brass 5.56, no .223 or steel case. I eventually converted the weapon to DI for reliability purposes.... I am toying with the idea of installing the GP system on my 6.8 to see how reliable it is.........
Is your gas gun a Ruger...I'm guessing, from what you say, that it might be a kit? The SR556 has about 4 positions, I don't recall for certain, and supposedly allows adjustment to be made for a dirty gun? We'll see. I have several DI guns as well so one way or another I'll get this Radway Green used.

·
Registered
510 Posts
is your gas gun a ruger...i'm guessing, from what you say, that it might be a kit? The sr556 has about 4 positions, i don't recall for certain, and supposedly allows adjustment to be made for a dirty gun? We'll see. I have several di guns as well so one way or another i'll get this radway green used.
cmmg

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
I was reading about it on AR15.com just do a google search with a few keywords, there is a ton of discussion about it over there.

Reactions: Mainzer

·
Registered
689 Posts
Years ago I bought 20 cans of the RORG 5.56 ammo. The stuff was packed on strippers and in bandoleers....it was beautiful. However, the powder that had been used was not quite right for an AR-15. It was a 62 grain bullet alright, but the powder just barely produced enough port pressure to cycle the gun. In my standard 20 inch AR the port pressure was enough to cycle the gun for the first 120 or 150 rds before it began to short stroke. It would throw the empty out just fine, but the bolt would not go back far enough to pick up a new round out of the magazine. If I would completely clean and CLP lube the gun, I could shoot another 120 or so rounds before the problem would reappear. (In my shorty AR, it didn't go half that many rounds before problems occurred). I finally packed all the remaining ammo in my truck and drove to AIM surplus and turned it in for a refund. Beautiful ammo, clean and well packaged, just not enough ommph.

If I owned a gun with an adjustable gas system, I'd jump all over that ammo today, if the price was right. If all you have is a regular AR with a gas impingement system, I'd advise you to pass. (However, mighty accurate ammo when it's working, if I recall).

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
I've come across a can of loose rounds, 5.56x45.....

It has the NATO Cross, Radway Green "RORG" ID and 89 date.

It's brass, FMJ with brass colored primer (though lighter than the case) and with red primer seal.

It's advertised as "Mil-Spec SS 109" but it's NOT green tip.

MIGHT THIS BE M193, 55grain AND NOT 62grain?

Just not that up to speed on ammo ID'ing especially .223/5.56.
GI3
If memory serves me right ... all RORG was 62gr. And it is typically down loaded, because the Brits SA 80 needed it to be.

http://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.html?b=3&f=16&t=303323

1 - 12 of 12 Posts