M14 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This subject come up a lot when one has a barrel that is over indexed. Most of the time, the answer is to roll the shoulder of the barrel which expands it's length some. This is also known as swaging the shoulder. Military manuals show a tool made for this which is used in a lathe to turn the shoulder. I haven't found one of these tools and many folks don't have a lathe in the first place. This leads to our friends at Harbor Freight where we can find all sorts of interesting, reasonably cheap, Chinese made tools. I didn't come up with this originally. Some other smart individual on the forum discovered this some years ago. HF has a tool made to cut pipe. It's a big "C" clamp looking thing similar to a knurling tool. The problem is that it is a pipe cutter, not a swag. The answer to this dilemma is to buy two tools and use one of the roller parts to replace the cutting wheel. Of course this kind of waists one of the tools, but it serves it's purpose and probably doesn't cost any more than some other swaging tools.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Should be more or less self evident, finishing/re-finishing would seem to be needed after the process.

·
Premium Member
4,484 Posts
Not sure if it was me Ted, but several years ago I bought a "replacement" roller for a large Ridgid pipe cutter I have, used it and posted the results. I did have to taper the sides of the wheel to fit the body of the pipe cutter where the cutting roller would normally be.
The only thing to be CAREFUL about when you use one of these is to make absolutely sure you do not spin the tool a complete 360 degrees around the barrel as you will flatten out the hand guard clip grooves on the barrel. (ask me how I know) Just rock the tool back and forth without rolling over the grooves. Works great. And as a tip, put grease on the barrel at the shoulder and the wheels leave little or NO mark on the barrel. You will not have to repark or refinish the barrel when done swaging.. Don't try to "swage" it all at one time. Snug the tool, rock, slightly tighten, rock, repeat....

·
Registered
7,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
When I use this tool I only place the rollers about half way over the shoulder. It doesn't alter the hand guard grooves enough to cause a problem and does not damage the finish. I do rotate the tool completely around the shoulder.

·
Forum Jester
6,986 Posts
use shims

Reactions: MuppetMeat4Me

·
Registered
7,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Shims or washers can work, but most over timed barrels don't require enough adjustment to justify them. In some cases one can turn enough off the shoulder to insert an appropriate shim. That just seems like a lot of extra work except in extreme cases.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts