M14 Forum banner

Roll pin punch and gas cylinder tool question?

1050 11
What size roll pin punch is needed to replace cast bolt release with new FA GI unit?......also, can I go to sears and purchase the letter "P" and no. 15 machinists drill bits for the gas cylinder :?:
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
676 Posts
#3 roll pin punch is used on the bolt stop. push from the front to the back of the receiver. and be careful a few people have broken the little nub on there.

i placed duct tape on the side of the receiver and used a very light hammer either 2 or 4 oz, i an't remember. i kept the hammer against the taped receiver and tapped genltly. the tape protects the reciever surface from scratching by the hammer.

i dont know about the drill bits at sears but they do not have roll pin punches.

·
Banned
1,843 Posts
Sears has punches which is where I bought mine.

The bolt stop roll pin is 3/32" X 1".
You need a 1/16" or 3/32" pin punch to knock it out.
Just add tape to the side of the receiver like fubar said and go slooowww.

·
Banned
1,843 Posts
I use a 3/32" or bigger to drive the roll pin in.
But getting it out is a totally different ball game.

A 3/32" punch is very tight on some receivers depending who made it. It will get stuck which makes getting the 3/32" punch out of the hole really hard. Not to mention the possibility of breaking or cracking the bridge where the roll pin goes. I for one don't want to buy a receiver I screwed up when I could have avoided a mistake in the first place. :roll:
A 1/16" punch works real good.

A 5/64 would be perfect but I don't think anybody makes such a beast.

I recently installed a 3/32" X 1" roll pin in a LRB receiver and it sqauked like a stuffed pig, and that was after putting oil in the hole. 8O

·
Banned
572 Posts
Actually I fired that snap on man after he repeatedly came up with excuse after excuse to not warranty my tools. I still got a fortune in it though. Matco is much better anyway. At least for me. Are you a mechanic. I am but not for much longer I hope. Not after I finaly get the FFL anyway. :D

·
Registered
5,852 Posts
Mine always warrantees anything I brake, even if it's plain and blatant that I beat it with a hammer then put it on an impact gun. I'm a technician at my work so I have a few tools here and there, it doesn't take much to have a fortune in Snap-on stuff. My brother is always oogling at my tool box when he comes over then he remembers a combination wrench is $25 and he realizes they're not for the average Joe home owner who may need to tighten a nut on the garge door once a year. They're for the guy that makes his living with them and relies on them. Matco is good stuff too, another tech has Matco stuff so we often compare and contrast our tools to each other, not much difference...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.