M14 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
NSR
1,723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gents,

Got the Rock River NM A4 and am setting the basic mechanical zero's. Rear sight had 72 clicks windage, so it centered at 36. No problem.

Anyone know the basic number of clicks to establish elevation zero? I can find nothing in the manuals to indicate how/where the mechanical elevation zero is set. Can anyone help me out here?

The front sight came with the post even with the top of the front sight assembly. Since it's a tapered post it has to be moved up/down in increments of 4 clicks. No problem, but is there a basic number of "clicks" used for the front sight?

Any help would be appreciated...

Semper Fi,

Wes

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Hmmm I just answered this the other day... see if I can remember correctly. Standard zeroing at 25m was done with the rear elevation ran all the way down, like one click past the 8/3 mark. Shoot to zero, then one click up to 8/3 being flush. Front post is started out FLUSH, then adjusted for elevation to zero. Windage is obvious.

At least I THINK thats right, for a Standard A2 sight. NM sights may be different.

·
Registered
398 Posts
What I done on my RRA NM was brought my rear sight up 12 clicks and adjusted my front sight as needed to zero at 100 yards. This may not be the right way but its what worked for me. My M1A NM takes 12 to 14 clicks from bottom to zero at 100 yards so I kept them both the same

·
Super Moderator
11,839 Posts
I don't know what value your "clicks" are, and the RR NM sights are not marked like the USGI drum is so your going too have too count your "clicks" and come back and nail polish them.... With the wife's RR NM A4 she has 1/4x1/4moa rear sight. I bottomed the rear out and came back up 4 and then I move too the front sight and adjusted for POA=POI at 25yds @ 100yds I put the front sight just under the X-ring and that's where they land. At 200yds its a 6 o'clock hold with the front sight just touching the black and they land in the X-ring, the wife likes a little sliver of white so she adds a extra too the elevation.

This is with Mk 262 or cloned loads with the 77SMK so there running pretty good. At 1000yds I use 80SMK seated long with a stiff load of powder under them, I put my 600yd pope on and screw the front sight back down 4 full turns, this gets me on paper and in the black.

·
Registered
3,015 Posts
Wes, The current "military" method of sighting in an M16 or M4 with the A2 sights is to sight in at 25m on a 25m zeroing target. I can forward you a pdf of the target for either an M16A2 or an M4 carbine. Just send me your e-mail address. Now here's something to consider. If you use this procedure, the ballistic arc intersects the LOS at 25m and roughly 300m. However, that means that at intermediate distances, you can be shooting pretty darn high - like about 10" high. In fact, the AMU suggests trying to put all your shots in the lower half of the 25m target circle. That's because most misses actually occur at 150m or 200m due to overshooting the target. They are suggesting that you bias your 25m zero a little low to help with this issue. Instead, I prefer to sight in on the 25m target but place the shot group about 2" low of the circle. That gives a pretty good 100m zero which is more useful for most of us. You can fine tune by shooting at 100m on an E type target. Either way method works but what's best is dependent on what shooting scenarios you favor. Rick

·
Registered
3,429 Posts
Wes, if you're using the A4 or A2 with 1/4 MOA sights for NRA Across the course, then give yourself 6 clicks from the bottom and get your 100yd zero. I have the same sights and it came out to 5 up for my zero due to the 1 way front sight. This gives you some adjustment room if you shoot a reduced course at 100.

·
NSR
1,723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Gents,

Thanks for the info...I should be able to figure it out now.

I've got the ammo all loaded and ready to go. I'll get my basic zero with 52 gr SMK's and then with 69 gr Lapua's. Should be fun.

Thanks, again!

Semper Fi,

Wes

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.