M14 Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been looking at these for a number of years. Today I finally broke down and got one. Now to find time to hit the range.

Reactions: Dougboffl

·
Read Only
3,779 Posts
I've looked at them at gun shows and they seem like a nicely built, solid, no frills .45 reminds me of a basic GI. I think you'll get a lot of shooting fun out it. Only issue. Get some checkered grips.

·
Registered
3,382 Posts
Mine shoots like it is supposed to, . . . no problems at all with it.

Only thing ever bugged me about it, . . . first and only one that gave me the ".45 bite" on my hand.

But I got over that.

May God bless,
Dwight

·
Resident Rascal
13,508 Posts
Only thing ever bugged me about it, . . . first and only one that gave me the ".45 bite" on my hand.

May God bless,
Dwight
I got tired of bleeding all over the grip safety. A beaver tail safety ranks right up there with gravy & biscuits!

Good looking .45 Tenboremag!

Continuing to be disagreeable tonight, I like the smooth grips. Feels better to me and comes out of the holster without hanging up on anything. Rubber grips are the worst to pull your shirt tail out of your pants.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
I've had one since 2009. I don't actually shoot it a whole lot, but when I do it shoots as well as the Colt I foolishly let go a couple of years before I got it. Both of them give me the ".45 bite".

I did replace the smooth side scales with some checkered scales.

·
Registered
3,867 Posts
I was surprised at the quality of these. I compare it to the early SAI 1911's. I picked one up used at my LGS a few years ago. Got the pistol with two high end mags (Chip McCormick, and a Wilson Combat), a leather lined Garrett Kydex holster and an extra set of grips for $350 OTD. Story was that it had belonged to a security guard as his work gun. The thumb safety and slide stop are both cast, but have held up so far.

·
Banned
2,951 Posts
We move quite a few of them. Every one that has purchased them have been very happy with them. A lot of gun for the money! Enjoy!

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
We move quite a few of them. Every one that has purchased them have been very happy with them. A lot of gun for the money! Enjoy!
I agree completely, I have many 1911's but those Armscor 1911's are just about the best you can get. For the money you spend...nothing comes close.

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
I have had one for about four years now and it is a great pistol. It reliably digests everything I feed it the factory trigger is great and it is an accurate pistol. I know it is not all forged but it is a great reliable, accurate shooter. Machine work and finish is not bad. Great piece.

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
Got one. Finally crossed over the 500 round break-in milestone. Still tight and secure feeling, wear marks are minimal, accurate enough for my use...I shoot at 50 feet.
I did buy checkered grips. Found a walnut pair on ebay for a good price.

·
Registered
2,278 Posts
I have one that is made by the same co. but marked High Standard.

They are great shooters, very accurate, inexpensive, in fact it is what I use for a side arm when I go hunting.

Couple of things I don't like about them though is the magazine and the sights.
The magazine has a weak spring and won't last, the front sight is to low and small, hard to see sometimes.

So I replaced the magazine with a quality one made by CheckMate Industries, (CMI), also replaced the front and rear sights. If you're going to replace the sights, make sure the one your buying has a narrow tenon.

https://www.gunpartscorp.com/ad/262760.htm#262760B

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
I like the smaller brand marking on yours. Mine has ROCK ISLAND ARMORY running down the entire left-hand side of my slide. One of these days I'll figure out a way to resolve that, because it's the only thing that I do not like about the pistol.

·
Registered
955 Posts
I have one in commander size, 10mm. I replaced the main spring housing (plastic) with a Wilson steel one. The sear needed to be squared and fitted. But other than that it is a nice pistol. Good gun and nice find. My only problem is that I don't shoot mine that often. I am hooked on my Glock 40 long slide right now.

·
Super Moderator
11,544 Posts
I agree, they are a great bang for your buck. I had one for a short time and just gave it to the son in law. Only issue so far is that the slide stop sometimes contacts the next round in the mag and it locks the slide back. An easy fix.

Tony.

·
Registered
860 Posts
I wanted a bare bone basic 1911. Just purchased one myself. 150 rounds of cheap federal aluminum case ammo and the only issue was me not seating the mag all the way. Just bought some more ammo and looking for a few more mags and it back to the range. Trigger is great and very accurate. Good buy in my opinion. Good luck and happy shooting.

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Going to try to get to the range later this week. I may replace the mainspring housing with a steel one with a lanyard loop. I have always liked that.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Bought 1 back in 2003, had a gunsmith trim a hair off the hammer spur to cure the hammer bite.

Think I need to replace the recoil spring as ejection seems weak.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.