M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Administrator
I lost all of my rifles & handguns in a mishap on Rio Grande when the barge hit a sandbar and sank.
18,638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On July 19th, John Fasano, his ID name here was Gun Rider passed away. Gun Rider had almost 800 threads/postings here over the last 6½ years. John was well known for his writing and directing in Hollywood. He was also a writer for several gun magazines published by Harris Publications. He will be missed in the chow line.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Fasano

RNGR4

·
Registered
7,441 Posts
A brush with greatness I didn't know about- as is usually the case in life. May the good man rest in peace.

·
Inquisitor
11,356 Posts
Wow, looking at IMDB, I've seen several of the movies/TV shows that he wrote or produced. Just goes to show, the members here can come from the most unexpected walks of life.

RIP

·
Registered
166 Posts
I hope he knew the Lord. We were passing p.m's on rifle chassis's about a year and a half ago as he had ALL the one's I was looking at ( occupation now show's how he had all that cool stuff !) I was getting ready to share some stuff with him in the next couple of week's as my plan's are coming together now. Good talkin to ya John!

·
Registered
588 Posts
RIP, may our brother John Fasano or as he was known to us "Gun Rider" find eternal and everlasting peace in Heaven as he departs for his last post to be among his family members, friends, co workers and our Lord Jesus Christ....Amen.....To John, "we will remember him"....[ame]http://youtu.be/99tCg596QSc[/ame]

John Fasano
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
John Fasano
Born August 24, 1961
Died July 18, 2014 (aged 52)
Occupation Film director, screenwriter, film producer
Years active 1984–2014

John M. Fasano (August 24, 1961 – July 18, 2014) was an American film director, film producer and screenwriter.[1][2]

John Fasano directed 6 films, produced 20 more and wrote screenplays for 18 others.

With novelist Roni Keller, he also wrote the book Evie and the Golem, published in 2011.[3]

A weapons expert,[4] Fasano was a frequent writing contributor to such authoritative magazines as Combat Tactics,[4] and American Handgunner.[5][6] A writer and producer at Shelf Life Unlimited Films,[7] he was developing a contemporary remake of Chariots of the Gods at the time of his death.[8][9]

In addition to his writing and film-making credentials, Fasano was also a prolific Halloween mask designer.[10]
Early career

After graduating SUNY College at Purchase in 1984, Fasano used his artistic talents art directing for magazines such as Muscle and Beauty, Race Car & Driver, Wrestling Power and OUI.[11]

He also found work painting the one sheet posters for Grindhouse films such as Tenement (Slaughter in the South Bronx)[12] for legendary exploitation film producers Roberta Findlay and Walter Sear.[13]

Fasano rewrote and acted in their film Blood Sisters.[11] His work impressed All in the Sex Family producer Jack Bravman[11] who contracted Fasano to write and Assistant-Direct the infamous Zombie Nightmare,[14] starring Adam West and a young Tia Carerre. After that, Fasano directed solo on the cult classic rock-horror features, Rock 'n' Roll Nightmare, Black Roses and The Jitters.[15]

After "The Jitters", Fasano moved to Los Angeles in 1989, where he sold his first "spec script", Tailgunner, to Morgan Creek.[11] He then co-wrote the screenplay for Another 48 Hrs. for director Walter Hill, which generated a series of script-writing offers from major studios.[11]

His first produced film, on which he was the assistant director and in which he also appeared as character "William Washington", was Zombie Nightmare.[16]

Fasano co-wrote Universal Soldier: The Return (1999), starring Jean-Claude Van Damme; Darkness Falls (2003), a horror thriller and box-office hit from Columbia Pictures; and 2005’s Jesse Stone: Stone Cold, the first in the series of CBS telefilms that star Tom Selleck as a small-town police chief.

The United States Army had presented him with the Commander’s Award for Public Service — the fourth-highest public service honorary award which can be granted to a private citizen — for directing and writing the documentary " Army Strong — Technology of the 21st Century", which was presented to him in May 2008 at Raleigh Studios in Hollywood.
Death

Survivors include his wife Edie, his children Lucia and John Cody and his sister, casting director Felicia Fasano.

He died at his home in Los Angeles on July 18, 2014. His family has not advised a cause of death.[17]

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
Did not know him, but it is always sad when we lose a good member here. Now Gunrider and Visigoth9 can sip coffee in the clouds and bas about 14's. God rest his soul.

-Sapp

Reactions: TheDudeAbides1970

·
Registered
23 Posts
John was one of the nicest guys I've had the pleasure to know. We had several good talks while visiting a mutual friend's home and he was soft spoken and intelligent despite being a very imposing figure of a man. I've never known a more creative individual in my life, both on and off the job. I used to joke about what a hard life he had- writing and directing movies and then doing research for and writing gun magazine articles. The only jab I could ever get in on him was he might be a gun writer and live in California but at least I could have high capacity mags where I lived!
Rest well buddy.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts