M14 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am new to the forum, so my apologies if this topic has been beaten to death...

I recently purchased a Springfield Armory M1A Loaded stainless with the VLTOR rail system. I have ordered a Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50 (http://www.vortexoptics.com/product/vortex-viper-pst-6-24x50-riflescope-with-ebr-1-moa-reticle/reticle) and was wondering what size rings to put on it.

My plan is to go with the Vortex's Precision Matched Rings, but I can't tell if I need the high (http://www.vortexoptics.com/product/vortex-precision-matched-rings-30mm-riflescope-high-height) or medium rings.

As the Picatinny rail runs the length of the rifle from the receiver to the front of the hand guard, the objective of the scope really doesn't have any room to drop down over the barrel.

Vortex's website is little help, and the retailer I ordered the optic from said that either the medium or high would work. That surprises me just a little...

Per the Vortex website, the high rings position the base 32mm below the centerline of the scope. I don't know if "base" is bottom of the ring or the groove where the rail sits. Anyway, 1/2 of 50mm objective is at least 25mm (plus the metal around the objective itself), so I presume that the medium rings (at 24.64mm below the centerline of the scope) are completely out.

Will the high rings work, and will they maybe even allow room for a scope cap, or have any of you used this setup on your rifles?

Thanks!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Sorry for the dead thread revival, but I just bought that same optic for my M1A Standard.

I'm not using a VLTOR hand guard rail on my Standard, I have an ARMS#18 mount.

Which rings did you use?

·
Registered
423 Posts
If you want a set of rings for that thing, get a hold of vortex and they will set you up with a pair of matched, precision made Seekins Precision rings. It's hard to go up from there, and pretty much only down from there also.

·
Registered
82 Posts
If you want a set of rings for that thing, get a hold of vortex and they will set you up with a pair of matched, precision made Seekins Precision rings. It's hard to go up from there, and pretty much only down from there also.
Exactly what I have, in the medium rings.

·
In the gilded halls of Valhala
13,515 Posts
You nees to measure so you can get the lowest possible.

Much better than copying someone amd ending up with a goofy high scope.

·
Registered
66 Posts
You nees to measure so you can get the lowest possible.

Much better than copying someone amd ending up with a goofy high scope.
I do not have the scope in hand yet.

I am hoping to order the rings and scope at the same time.

Certainly there's someone on this forum that has the exact setup already and can share their knowledge.

If not, I'll have to see if I can get specs from Vortex and Seekins to plug into the ring height calculator...

·
Registered
66 Posts
OK, I've answered my own question.

After using the M1A Ring Height calculator found here on the site, I chose Vortex medium rings to mount my Vortex Viper PST.

With the rear sight all the way down, the eyepiece clears the rear sight by 1mm. The objective clears the hand guard by roughly 5mm.

While using the new scope today I managed a three inch group (1.5 MOA) at 200 yds and a 6.25 inch group at 300 yds (not shown) using Federal 175 gr SMK.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I took my M305 in to my local gun store and had the man behind the counter bring out the rings that might work and we tried em out. I have the exact same same scope by the way. Cant remember what rings we selected and mounted. They were over 150 bucks though.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts