M14 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello M14Forum!

A longtime lurker is finally putting together his dream rifle. I call her "Vera"! She is an LRB M25 receiver matched to a 22" medium weight barrel that I assembled with a GI parts kit from Windy City Sourcing.

View attachment 111802

I took her to the range last week for a test run, and everything performed flawlessly. I am now ready to attach a scope, which leads to my question: what rings do you suggest to match with a Vortex Viper PST 2.5-10x44?

I apologize since matching rings to scopes to rifles is a common thread, but there are so many permutations of scope bases, rifles, scopes, and rings that I was not able to find any answers that matched my situation. I would like mount the scope as low to the bore as possible, and it seems like the limiting factor is actually the rear sight hitting the ocular end of the scope and less the objective hitting the handguard.

Any input would be appreciated!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
From what I've been able to gather, my best bet for getting the PST as low as possible on the M25 without hitting the rear sight will be:

ARMS #22, medium height
Badger, medium
TPS TSR, low

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Good to know... I gather the ARMS18 mount is actually even lower than the built-in mount on the M25, so perhaps I could get away with the ARMS #22 low rings on the M25/vortex combo?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
To close the loop... I topped my M25 with a Vortex PST 2.5-10x44 MRAD using ARMS #22 low mounts. It just barely clears the rear sight when the rear sight us cranked all the way down... so, perfect!

I'll update again after a trip to the range!

G

·
0 Posts
That's a nice setup. My shooting buddy has a Ziess on his, and one of those SA scope bases which I cannot stand because it sits so darn high.

I went with an ARMS #18, that's about as low as they go, but, fitting is hit or miss on a Springfield commercial receiver, I got lucky, then topped it with an Aimpoint PRO as I was going for that "Black Hawk Down" look, had to ditch the PRO mount because it was just too high, and used one of those Vortex low 30mm tactical rings, now the scope sits nice & low over the base and I can co-witness the front sight. Isn't it great when a plan comes together!

Gotta get me a good camera and take some pics one of these days, all the cameras on my devices stink....

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I upgraded the stock to a 'new' walnut from treeline, added a HD Sadlak front rail (after practicing installing it on the old stock, thankfully), and attached an Atlas bipod. I think I'm finally happy with it. So time to start a new project!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts