M14 Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I know, I know this has been covered many times on this forum, but everyones case varies with different scopes and mounts so here is my situation and any advice is appreciated.

I have a Sadlak Airborne mount arriving this monday (happily sooner than expected), and plan on purchasing a U.S. optics SN-3 1.8-10x37 T-Pal scope from Larue Tactical since it has the same options i would choose for a reasonable price. My gun is a SA loaded version (NM rear sight) and i know this is the area of concern with ring height and brookfield style mounts. The scopes eyepiece diameter is 47.2mm.

I want to also purchase my scope mount from larue since they give you a little deal when buying a scope and their QD mounts are incredible and very useful when switching to irons IMHO. They have different heights i can choose from and i am considering 1.28", 0.875", 1.375".

I think the 1.28" will clear the rear sight with ease, and the 0.875" may be cutting it a little close. If anyone has any advice on the matter or previous experience please let me know i would appreciate it.

The following link has some good information on a "similar" ring height dilema discussed on this forum.

http://m14forum.com/optics/89196-uso-st-10-sadlak-airb-what-rings-height.html

edit: I have seen NoExperts calculator but i won't know for sure until the sadlak arrives, just looking for preliminary advice

·
Registered
15 Posts
I went through the same anguish when I put my NightForce 50mm on my Remington 700 milspec. The simple answer is I have no idea. The objective diameter in relation to the tube size of your scope is the issue. That difference is your height. You want it down close to the barrel. I would imagine getting the scope first, suspend it above the rail and hand guard and get a measurement. I will tell you the rings I had on my M1A with a 30mm tube, 50 mm Objective were. With a Fulton mount they are 6/16 from the bottom (Rail) to where the scope sits and about 1.5 to the top. But then that's with a 50 mm objective. I'd go .875. WTF, I'm spending your money.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts