M14 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Debaiting if i should put the gas shim on the right way by taking off the flash supressor. I do have all the tools I need. Or do it the easy way but cutting the shim at a 45 degree angle.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
I've usually find that the easy way makes for a lot more work. Take the time.

·
Registered
3,997 Posts

·
Registered
5,747 Posts
Doing it the right way takes about 5 to 10 extra minutes if you have the tools, compared to the cut technique. Personally I'd find the 5 to 10 extra minutes to do it right. I always hate wasting 30+ minutes correcting what I did the quick way.

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
You stated you have the tools, so the only way is to use them!

Short cuts useally take more time and have to be redone.

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
If its to easy its an ambush DI2
Wolf

·
Registered
637 Posts
I did it the "easy" way because I do not own FS pliers. I don't foresee the shim coming off, especially with how I had to spread it to get it over the barrel combined with the tension it is under between the front band & barrel flare. I guess a good question would be has anyone actually had problems with the "easy" method of installing shims? Because a lot of us don't own the tools and if it works then who cares.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok well I was seeing what some people opinions were on this, most likely will do it the right way.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
This is what i tell the guys i work with, If your not going to do it the right way, dont do it at all.

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
If you don't have time to do it right the first time. When are you going to find time to go back and redo it right?

·
Registered
40 Posts
I see a lot of generic advice in this thread about doing things right the first time. Generally, that is good advice in all aspects of life.

What I don't see is institutional knowledge regarding installing shims by snipping them and WHY it is wrong?

·
Registered
637 Posts
I see a lot of generic advice in this thread about doing things right the first time. Generally, that is good advice in all aspects of life.

What I don't see is institutional knowledge regarding installing shims by snipping them and WHY it is wrong?
My thoughts as well. I have read of shims splitting and falling out when installed "the right way". I would think that by cutting at a 45 degree angle, and installing with the split facing downward and the amount of force between the barrel flare and front band you would be safe. It almost seems that the 45 degree split would absorb some of the force during recoil and prevent further shim damage. Maybe not, just thinking out loud. I have a set of castlenut pliers on order as I write this so if my split shim does fall out I will install the replacement as a whole.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Funny you should ask... I had to shim mine and really thought about cutting it and slipping it on but I ordered the pliers as I had the other tools and it literally to me like 30mins to do and very easy getting the FS off

1 - 16 of 16 Posts