M14 Forum banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
I think some of you are missing the point of this paragraph.

"The demonstration is fired by a well trained marksman." (aka the instructor or his/her assistant)

This is not something the trainee is suppose to demonstrate, but something the instructor(s) demonstrate to Private "Nevershotagunbefore" so he is not terrified of the massive and uncontrollable recoil of an M14.
I have been shooting the M1A since 1991 when I shot it across the course out to 600 yards with iron sights as an NRA highpower service rifle shooter; however, I would not want to do that demonstration at all!

·
Registered
114 Posts
I was in Army basic training in 1968. We trained with M14s. I saw this demonstration preformed prior to us going to the zero range. It certainly didn't seem to bother the DI doing the demo. In advanced training we trained with M16s.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I read on some blog just a few days ago a comment about 'the ferocious recoil of the M16'...
I can fire a lot of rounds thru an M14 without ill effects, assuming the butt is against my shoulder while doing so... but one's crotch doesn't seem like a good place for a rifle butt, even for something with ferocious recoil like an M16... hard to get a good target picture that way, anyhow.

·
Registered
19 Posts
While in Basic at Ft. Knox in 1965 our instructor did each of those positions during the initial demonstration. I was issued an M14 in Vietnam instead of the M16 and loved it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
I read on some blog just a few days ago a comment about 'the ferocious recoil of the M16'...
I can fire a lot of rounds thru an M14 without ill effects, assuming the butt is against my shoulder while doing so... but one's crotch doesn't seem like a good place for a rifle butt, even for something with ferocious recoil like an M16... hard to get a good target picture that way, anyhow.
[/QUOTE

When I shot my M1A across the course out to 600 yards as an NRA high power service rifle shooter, the course of fire was 88 rounds assuming you had no alibis. If you had one alibi (where the rifle jammed and did it feed the next round) then you had to repeat the stage and that would be 10 more rounds. So I am used to firing lots of rounds through my M1A but I would NOT put it in my crotch!

·
Registered
9 Posts
I remember firing the M16 at Fort Dix with the butt held against the chin of my gas mask. Not only was there no problem with the recoil, but the mild recoil did not even break the seal of the mask.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts